• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) How many classes do you want to see this edition?

How many classes do you want to see this edition?

• Less than 5e. Some should be removed or merged.

Votes: 34 27.6%
  • The same as 5e. It is already perfect.

Votes: 22 17.9%
  • More than 5e. Some archetypes are not covered well in 5e.

Votes: 61 49.6%
  • Classes are outdated. Let me pick and mix features for my character!

Votes: 6 4.9%

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
4 Class Categories X 3 Base Classes per = 12.
Warrior (Fighter, Barbarian, Martial Adept), Rogue (Thief, Acrobat, Ranger), Mystic (Cleric, Druid, Warlock),
Wizard (Mage, Psychic, Swordmage/"Magus")

12 Base Classes X 3 Sub-(or "Expert")classes per = 36
Warrior: Fighter: Default Fighter, Cavalier, Dungeoneer
Warrior: Barbarian: Default Barbarian, Totem Warrior, Skald
Warrior: Martial Adept: Default Martial Artist/"Monk", Kensei, Dragon Adept
Rogue: Thief: Default Thief, Bravo/"Assassin," Rake (charisma/courtier thief)
Rogue: Acrobat: Default Acrobat, Swashbuckler, Jester/"Trickster"
Rogue: Ranger: Default Ranger, Beastmaster (animal companion ranger), Horizon Walker (magic ranger)
Mystic: Cleric: Default Cleric, Invoker/"Priest" (caster cleric), Templar/"Paladin" (martial cleric)
Mystic: Druid: Default Druid, Shaman (spirit summoners/shapeshifters), Elementalist (element caster-druids)
Mystic: Warlock: Default Warlock, Hexblade, Conjurer/"Binder"
Wizard: Mage: Default Mage, Illusionist, Abjurer
Wizard: Psychic: Default Psychic, Seer, Telekinetic
Wizard: Swordmage: Default Magus, Psi-Warrior, Bladecaster (bamfing bladesingery type)

6 "Prestige"/"Paragon" Classes that cannot be taken without several levels of other prerequisites.
Warlord: must have levels in Warrior class, et al
Avenger: must have levels in Rogue class, et al
Bard: must have levels in Warrior or Rogue class, et al.
Thaumaturgist: must have levels in a Wizard class, et al.
Theurge: must have levels in Mystic class, et al
Witch: must have levels in Mystic or Wizard class, et al.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
4 Class Categories X 3 Base Classes per = 12.
Warrior (Fighter, Barbarian, Martial Adept), Rogue (Thief, Acrobat, Ranger), Mystic (Cleric, Druid, Warlock),
Wizard (Mage, Psychic, Swordmage/"Magus")

12 Base Classes X 3 Sub-(or "Expert")classes per = 36
Warrior: Fighter: Default Fighter, Cavalier, Dungeoneer
Warrior: Barbarian: Default Barbarian, Totem Warrior, Skald
Warrior: Martial Adept: Default Martial Artist/"Monk", Kensei, Dragon Adept
Rogue: Thief: Default Thief, Bravo/"Assassin," Rake (charisma/courtier thief)
Rogue: Acrobat: Default Acrobat, Swashbuckler, Jester/"Trickster"
Rogue: Ranger: Default Ranger, Beastmaster (animal companion ranger), Horizon Walker (magic ranger)
Mystic: Cleric: Default Cleric, Invoker/"Priest" (caster cleric), Templar/"Paladin" (martial cleric)
Mystic: Druid: Default Druid, Shaman (spirit summoners/shapeshifters), Elementalist (element caster-druids)
Mystic: Warlock: Default Warlock, Hexblade, Conjurer/"Binder"
Wizard: Mage: Default Mage, Illusionist, Abjurer
Wizard: Psychic: Default Psychic, Seer, Telekinetic
Wizard: Swordmage: Default Magus, Psi-Warrior, Bladecaster (bamfing bladesingery type)

6 "Prestige"/"Paragon" Classes that cannot be taken without several levels of other prerequisites.
Warlord: must have levels in Warrior class, et al
Avenger: must have levels in Rogue class, et al
Bard: must have levels in Warrior or Rogue class, et al.
Thaumaturgist: must have levels in a Wizard class, et al.
Theurge: must have levels in Mystic class, et al
Witch: must have levels in Mystic or Wizard class, et al.

why is a circus performer in the rogue slot it makes no sense try something better?

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
why is a circus performer in the rogue slot it makes no sense try something better?
Huh....jeez...I wonder why? ...That's right! 1) It DOES make sense. Oh yeah, and 2) has D&D cred going back to 1e...with subclass options appearing in every edition... and 3) has multiple different cool character archetypes.

Maybe "try something better" is more applicable to your character conceptions than my class list. But thanks for your ever-valuable input.

Attachments

• acrobat_ua1.jpg
    acrobat_ua1.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 49
  • acrobat_subclass.jpg
    acrobat_subclass.jpg
    518.4 KB · Views: 49
  • nightwing3.jpg
    nightwing3.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 50
  • sworddancer.jpg
    sworddancer.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 5af829f19ff21fe3b24ff0edee1e6527.jpg
    5af829f19ff21fe3b24ff0edee1e6527.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 51
  • diana_acrobat1.jpg
    diana_acrobat1.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 50

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Huh....jeez...I wonder why? ...That's right! 1) It DOES make sense. Oh yeah, and 2) has D&D cred going back to 1e...with subclass options appearing in every edition... and 3) has multiple different cool character archetypes.

Maybe "try something better" is more applicable to your character conceptions than my class list. But thanks for your ever-valuable input.
yeah it has tradition but lots of dumb idea where in 1e that does not make them good ideas.

aside from dnd derive media and superheroes who work on different setting assumptions do you have an acrobat example character? an origin point as swashbuckler is at least a media idea? what next a rat catcher class or a chief class?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Call me old school, but there never should have been more than the four classes (Fighter, MU, Cleric and Thief) or four races (Human, Elf, Dwarf and Hafling (aka Hobbit)), as originally meant. They should go back to that, at least in a separate game for new players, but that's never going to happen.
Sounds kind of like the basic/starter versions of dnd.

Gorck

Prince of Dorkness
1/3 caster for barbarian with some cool features could work in this manner.

some auras that work while in rage.

ability to cast and concentrate on shaman only spells in rage, adding rage bonus to damage with spells that have attack roll,
I would prefer it if Barbarians couldn't cast magic. As it is, we have 13 official classes in the game:

6 are full casters (Bard, Cleric, Druid, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard)
3 are 1/2 casters (Artificer, Paladin, Ranger)
3 have a subclass that allows them to become a 1/3 caster (Eldritch Knight Fighter, Arcane Trickster Rogue)
1 has a subclass that allows them to become a pseudo-caster (Way of the 4 Elements Monk)
which leaves the Barbarian as the only class that can't cast magic (and I'm perfectly fine if they would remain that way).

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I would prefer it if Barbarians couldn't cast magic. As it is, we have 13 official classes in the game:

3 have a subclass that allows them to become a 1/3 caster (Eldritch Knight Fighter, Arcane Trickster Rogue)
1 has a subclass that allows them to become a pseudo-caster (Way of the 4 Elements Monk)
which leaves the Barbarian as the only class that can't cast magic (and I'm perfectly fine if they would remain that way).
I think for most, having a subclass doesn't really count as "this class can cast magic".

Remathilis

Legend

Are you talking about the PHB only? Because the animal totem barbarian gets two rituals, and beyond that the wild magic barbarian and storm barbarian are pretty darn magical.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Also some aspects just don't exist at all in 5e. That whole 'become the monster' the playtest sorcerer had is still completely untouched.
In my homebrew Binder class I have a subclass that is based on binding a power inside yourself, and thus gaining its power and transforming into a version of it.

It might end up having to be separate, though, because it’s…a big concept.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle

Totem has ritual spells.

Remove ads