Pathfinder 1E How many Hit Points in an arrow? in a bullet?

Steelbreaker Skin (the Stone mystery revelation) causes any weapon that strikes you to take damage equal to your Oracle level, and prevents you from taking any damage whatsoever if this damage is enough to destroy the weapon.

How many Hit Points does an arrow have? Or more to the point, how many Hit Points does a bullet have? I feel like I'm about to get into a fight with some angry Russians wielding touch-attack cheater-guns, and I'd really like to not die on account of Pathfinder poorly modeling the interaction between guns and armor.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Well there is a chart for hardness and hit points of objects, and only a few examples are given (that don't include arrows or bullets, per se.)

Wood has a hardness of 5, and 10 hp per inch of thickness. An arrow has less than an inch of thickness, although might be 10 inches long. So probably 10 or less hp. A bullet of steel has a hardness of 10 and 30 hp per inch of thickness. So even at less than an inch, 15 hp is reasonable assumption for each bullet. There is no exact measurement of the hp for these items, however, being subject to GM discretion.

The rules can never be all encompassing, as in providing hardness and hp for every kind of object in existence - that will never happen.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Here's a wrench:

Arrows and bullets are "ammunition," not "weapons." Bows and pistols are weapons - and causing them to break won't have much effect on the ammunition they've already fired.

Here's a wrench:

Arrows and bullets are "ammunition," not "weapons." Bows and pistols are weapons - and causing them to break won't have much effect on the ammunition they've already fired.
I wouldn't get too torn up on the wording, because the intent seems clear enough in term of in-game physics. It's just the math that isn't stated clearly.

I mean, it says specifically that it works against ranged attacks, and I can't imagine anyone playing it so that shooting an arrow against a hard surface causes your bow to break.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Hmm,

Literally, if the ability says "weapon", it should damage the bow, since that is the in game defined weapon. That seems odd, though. I'd look for a clarification if that is how the ability is supposed to work.

Per the game rules, arrows and bullets are destroyed on use. You could ask how hard is it to break and arrow, say, by snapping it in two, but once fired the question of hit points is moot: The projectile is destroyed in any case. (Some folks might house rule otherwise...)

Thx!

TomB

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Sure, sure. I was just throwing that out there for the rules lawyers and because, well, I don't know anything about Oracle level or Stone mystery revelations.

Bullets and arrows have either:

- 1 hit point, because they're tiny and weak, or

- hit points exactly equal to the damage they cause - because once they stop dealing damage, they've destroyed themselves.

Per the game rules, arrows and bullets are destroyed on use. You could ask how hard is it to break and arrow, say, by snapping it in two, but once fired the question of hit points is moot: The projectile is destroyed in any case. (Some folks might house rule otherwise...)
That's probably the easiest answer. Thanks. It does mean that this power makes you immune to even the most magical of arrows, though, as long as they break on impact.

Remove ads