How Many Hours Do You Usually Spend in a Level?

How many hours of play does your group spend in a given level?

N'raac

First Post
What I see is no real consensus emerging. I also see a LOT of multi-picks, which suggests speed of leveling is not a big concern for many gamers. When the total percentages ad up to 144.91%, they aren't really meaningful.

At present, 18.37 + 42.86 say 20 hours or less, so 61.23/144.91 = 42.25%.

And 16.33 + 24.49 = 40.82/144.91 say over 30 hours = 28.17%.

That leaves 29.58% who are 21 - 30 hours.

One might also analyze how many posters have selected ONLY options of 20 or less hours, or ONLY more than 20 hours to assess how popular each choice is, and how many have selections from both, who are therefore "undecided" whether the 20 hour mark is too high or too low.

The fascinating thing about statistics - especially vague statistics - is how they mean EXACTLY what the person interpreting them needs them to mean in order to support his case. We forget (often conveniently) that being right 52.5% of the time also means being wrong 47.5% of the time.

N'raac

First Post
OK, a little more analysis. Since @Hussar's position on the other thread was that 20 hours is about right, I ignored anyone who has checked boxes in both 20 or below and 21 or higher, since they're OK at or above that level. They count as "undecided".

18 people have one or more checks in 20- and none in 21+, so they are with @Hussar (and he's in there) with "20 hours or less"

21 have selected one or more in 21 or more hours, so they are opposed to the "20 hour maximum".

Of course, 21 hours isn't far off @Hussar's 20, but I assume he picked that cutoff for a reason. 30 hours is way above his 20 hour cutoff.

Seems pretty close to even for an internet poll. But the, I've always had some sympathy for Diefenbaker's belief that dogs are the only people who know how to treat polls.

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
N'raac said:
OK, a little more analysis. Since @Hussar's position on the other thread was that 20 hours is about right, I ignored anyone who has checked boxes in both 20 or below and 21 or higher, since they're OK at or above that level. They count as "undecided".

Just to be clear. That's twenty hours for me. Not anyone else. There is absolutely no right answer here.

Each of my sessions is about 5 hours, and PCs usually gain a level every three sessions or so. (I did that in my Dark Sun campaign, but my current Way of the Wicked levels PCs up based on accomplished goals. It's still usually about 3 sessions, but the first couple of levels went by really fast.)

Hussar

Legend
That sentence should be taken out and shot.

Why? We all know that the polling on a website like this is hardly scientific. About all it does is give a rough starting point, and even then it's hardly something to stake a reputation on.

So, yeah, I look at this poll and see that for most of the respondents, we're looking between 10 and 30 hours of play time per level. Considering I was told that I was an immature gamer who didn't understand D&D and role playing for fitting in that time frame, I guess I'm in pretty good company because there seems to be a fair number of games out there that fall into my preferred range, while very fast levelling (under 10 hours) and very slow levelling 40 hour+ appears to be the outlier.

I would honestly think that this shouldn't surprise anyone really. Did anyone honestly believe that the outside lines here were the norm for many tables?

Jack99

Adventurer
Based on the last 9 years of play, which have been chronicled, 15 hours per level is the average. Personally, I would rather spend about 25-30 hours between dings, but 15 hours is the sweet-spot for my players, so...

Remove ads