D&D 5E How Many Magic Items Are You Planning On Handing Out?

KarinsDad

Adventurer
I don't want to hand out too many magic items in my 5E game, but I also think that players like to find cool magic items.

I was thinking of handing out about 2 to 5 potions/scrolls and maybe 2 permanent magic items per PC level for a group of 6 PCs. Due to how quickly PCs go from level 1 to 3, I might postpone a few of the permanent magic items until they are actually level 3/4.

Is this too much? Too little?

Thoughts?

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
It seems like 2 permanent per character by 5th is the current adventure standard.

Consumables at 2nd and basically nothing in the very short stint at level 1.

By 10th I'd do basic armors/protection; a weapon, implement, or two; and 1-3 miscellaneous.

At Tier 3 I would start placing special items as upgrades of existing equipment.

Currently my playtest group is 9th and they have 2-3 permanent items each and aren't complaining (except the shapeshifting druid is kind of housed).

Mercurius

Legend
It really depends - every group has a sweet spot between not too much ("Monty Hall") and too little (stingy DM). 4E had a system that was, while efficient, too mechanical (for my liking) - like outfitting an avatar in a computer game with different slots and such. 5E seems more fluid, less reliant upon magic bonuses.

In 5E, I envision magic items in a slow curve rising with items being more normative by the time they characters are around 10th level. But it is always a good thing, I think, to make them special. Start off very slow - maybe no one gets a real magic item--other than expendables--until 2nd or 3rd level.

I've also always liked the idea that +1 items aren't truly "magical" in the way the term is used, but crafted by skilled dwarven or elvish smiths, so imbued with an enchantment of a sorts - meaning, the magic is in the high level of (quasi-arcane) craftsmanship. This makes even a +1 item come alive a bit: "You find a slim blade of obvious elvish craftsmanship, glimmering with a fey light."

The key, I think, is being patient with handing out items and making them special.

FadedC

First Post
I'm hoping that there will be some guidelines about this in the DMG, I know people say that magic items are more optional in 5E but I have a hunch that a high level fighter is still expected to have found a magic sword. At the same time a lot of items are much more powerful in 5e and even a simple item like the staff of defense found in the starter set can have a big effect on power and gameplay.

jgsugden

Legend
Waiting for recommendations from the DMG, but I tend to have a number of single use items introduced to give the PCs fun little solutions to problems.

fjw70

Adventurer
Just like in 4e, not a lot of MIs will be available. I probably won't have a formula but will just throw them in here or there. If I am using a 5e published module then whatever in in there.

Agamon

Adventurer
My group of 4 PCs only have 2 magic items (an axe and an amulet) at 3rd level. I blame the fact that getting to 3rd is pretty quick (and I slowed it down to 2 sessions each for the first two levels) and the fact that magic isn't really necessary.

trentonjoe

Explorer
I

I've also always liked the idea that +1 items aren't truly "magical" in the way the term is used, but crafted by skilled dwarven or elvish smiths, so imbued with an enchantment of a sorts - meaning, the magic is in the high level of (quasi-arcane) craftsmanship. This makes even a +1 item come alive a bit: "You find a slim blade of obvious elvish craftsmanship, glimmering with a fey light."

The key, I think, is being patient with handing out items and making them special.

This is what I am doing. The group I am running is 5th level and only has one magical weapon. We use potions and scrolls like they are on sale at Walmart but the permanent things are rare and special.

I am thinking about having the guys in my group all design something cool and then a backstory for each one.

jadrax

Adventurer
I'm hoping that there will be some guidelines about this in the DMG, I know people say that magic items are more optional in 5E but I have a hunch that a high level fighter is still expected to have found a magic sword.

It is hard to know, because we only have a handful of creature stats, but I suspect that nothing will have Immunity to non-magical weapons, and many of the things that have Resistance to Non-magical weapons (like Wraiths) will also have that Resistance bypassed by something non magical (such as Col Iron or Silver).

So a magic weapon will help a lot, but not be required.

FadedC

First Post
I'm not so much worried about whether they are required as what the assumption is in class balance and encounter design. A fighter with a magic sword, magic armor and a ring of protection will be much more powerful then a fighter without any magic items. It's helpful to know what the baseline expectation is so I can at least be aware of the fact that I am altering it if I decide to go low or high magic.

It is hard to know, because we only have a handful of creature stats, but I suspect that nothing will have Immunity to non-magical weapons, and many of the things that have Resistance to Non-magical weapons (like Wraiths) will also have that Resistance bypassed by something non magical (such as Col Iron or Silver).

So a magic weapon will help a lot, but not be required.

Remove ads