How many of you have your own Homebrew game system?

Shallown said:
Why did you design new rules?

How long did it take?
Ummm, maybe two weeks for the mechanics. I'm good with statistics so once I had my statstical goals it was easy.

Did you ever want to publish it?
Nahh. It's one claim to fame was armor: you divided the damage done by your armor rating.

Did you every actually run the System?
Briefly. It wasn't anything special. In retrospect, it looks a lot like Fusion with d10s.

Was it specific to a Campaign world/genre/book series etc...?
Not by design

What's your Favorite Color....?
plaid

Shallown

First Post
Its interesting to see there are more people out there like me than I had thought. I have one system that is unique and my main one but I have taken thinsg like 7th sea roll and keep system and made it plain fantasy, cyberpunk and modern horror. I do a lot of offshoot rules for different worlds/genres.

Now to be egotistical and answer my own questions.

Wanted a system that had had magic with out it being world shaking powerful stuff. Where I could fake a lot of different things without having to make new rules everytime.

How long did it take?
Been developing for like 15 years. Ballooned into a overly realistic system before I slimmed it down to be realistic enough without wasting to much time being real.

Not really. Too much work involved for a basically lazy person.

Have run three campaigns in the system as it is today. Players liked the fact the could abuse things and the next week I gave them a new set of pages taking out nasty loop holes and overly powerful magic.

One campaign used the same system except for damage which was more grim and gritty. I ran a play anything campaign with characters dropping through warps to meet each other. I had a jedi, Modern day Homicide detective, Veitnam vet who was homeless but who had been experimented on having Psi powers, A pirate and a wind Mage. It was a fun unteresting game. System held up for all those things ideas.

If you don't play it anymore why not?
Sort of drifted into D&D again and have been there running games since. Plan to go back to my system after this campaign as the group really wants to get back to it. Which makes me happy.

No though the way magic works was designed so thatit fit into Michael Reaves Shattered world books. I didn't base it off that but wanted teh system to fit into that world.

Charcoal Grey and Burgundy.

later

s/LaSH

First Post
I shall discuss the Skyrust-Nocturne-Twilight series herein.

Because I knew there was more than one system out there, I knew they had different feels, and I wanted one that felt more like mine. As time wore on, the design process morphed into a desire to create rules that felt like a story, and also had realism. Eventually, I did it because I wanted to finish what I'd started, and make it worthwhile compared to other things on the market.

How long did it take?

Probably about 10 years, so far. To break that down:

First 1-2 years: Skyrust system. Wanted to make something up. Did so. Made many mistakes. Learned.
Second period, ~5 years: Nocturne system. Tightened design focus onto realism. It got very bloated and rather odd. Eventually started cutting it back to a philosophy. Still required a calculator.
Third period, to present: Twilight system. Cut out the big numbers and shifted to dice pools as a continuation of the design philosophy. Recently rebuilt the skills to shift emphasis from combat onto other stuff. Very happy; possibly final form.

Oh yes. From my experience in other games, Twilight should offer something new and playable. Now I just have to find the time and inclination to finish it.

After Twilight's out, I'll develop a system currently codenamed Dawn. It'll be a great evolution, shifting from stat-driven play to scenario-driven play, with a heavily unified core mechanic. I'm quite excited about this, but I want to finish Twilight first, because that will be closer to peoples' expectations than Dawn.

Skyrust and Nocturne, yes. Twilight, despite the fact that I'm super-proud of it, no. I will, one day. Oh yes, one day...

(This is where I recount the Funny Stories that spurred me to revise the system. Well, very briefly. Skyrust I tested the day after I wrote it, with a cousin of mine. Apparently, a supernatural power that says 'make it up and assign a reasonable cost' is unbalanced. Nocturne I tested more often, but the story that spurred the final philisophical revision is the Lycanthrope Incident, in which I learned that permanent powers are much more effective than instant powers, and that people don't like it when you beat them unconscious with their own arm.)

If you don't play it anymore why not?

Friends busy or busy with other systems. Myep. Must make time to playtest...

Skyrust was specific, based on a story I half-wrote. Nocturne started off as an updated version of the engine based on an unwritten story based on the previous story, featuring a character named Nocturne. Twilight was just a name I liked, as it seemed a logical successor to Nocturne. I used the Twilight rules to build a crazy world where the rules were taken into account, thus coming full circle...

Red or field gray/green. Not blue. Blue sickens me - almost literally; I don't mind it, but people don't like me when I'm wearing it.

Remove ads