How many RPGs do you play?

How many RPGs do you play?

Treebore

First Post
At GenCon and other cons I deliberately try new game systems, and once a year I have a house-con where the only rule is "no D&D." It does wonders for expanding my horizons. I play D&D every week, so it's fun to change.

I do it by not watching TV, and rarely playing video games, like in the last year I have only played Dragon Age and Red Dead Redemption. Plus it helps that all of my games but the Saturday game are on line using SKYPE and Maptools, so I have no travel time, it is just sit down and play, much like a console game. Plus most of the sessions are only 3 hours long or so. It also helps having a wife who is OK with it since I am home all the time.

So from 6 to 9 PM or so practically every day I am sitting at my computer playing RPG's with other people rather than sitting and watching TV or playing video games. With thoughtful planning and scheduling outside of that time frame I am able to take care of everything I need to take care of, farm, kids, etc... Most of the time. I do miss more often than I would like because something broke, a road trip took longer than planned, etc... As it is I usually only miss maybe one out of every 6 sessions.

Achan hiArusa

Explorer
I was playing in an Exalted game that was a mixed Solar/Lunar game and running a Dragonblooded game but both kinda died since I have moved out of town (we were supposed to play once a month, but it hasn't worked out). I played a one shot of Changeling the Dreaming this weekend. I have a Vampire the Masquerade game during WWII coming up next week. I have a Torg game I play once a season with friends who live really far away. I have an unfinished game of Elric d20 that I get to run once in a blue moon (unfortunately the players involved currently live in three different cities while I am in a fourth). And I was supposed to be in a Chronicles of Amber game but my friends involved are busy moving.

Hussar

Legend
Like others, I'm having a bit of difficulty answering the questions. I regularly play D&D, it's the one I always come back to (in various iterations). But, I really enjoy other games as well and the past year, year and a half, we've been jumping systems pretty often. Which has been nice. So, I went with "a few" as my answer.

Although, had I known this was the definition:

Fanboy2000 said:
Here's the definition I used when answering my own question: if you've played the game in the future and would be willing to play it again you play the game. Other definitions might be appropriate to.

I think I'd likely have to redo my vote. :D

fanboy2000

Adventurer
had I known this was the definition:
Me said:
Here's the definition I used when answering my own question: if you've played the game in the future and would be willing to play it again you play the game. Other definitions might be appropriate to.
I think I'd likely have to redo my vote. :D
Hey, you try typing without opposable thumbs! Add to the fact that my computer keeps freezing up here. ;)

Last edited:

Doctor DM

First Post
I only play in two right now. A Western Steampunk game that's 3/4 D&D 3.5 and 1/4 home brew rules. I also play a solo D&D 3.5 game.

I used to DM 3.x D&D forever, and have also played BESM (best system ever for making original characters), and a little World of Darkness.

I tried Champions once, but the GM was super lame and we did literally NOTHING in 5 hours of playtime.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Some my openness to playing other systems comes from the anti-D&D sentiment that existed when I started playing in the late 90s. The World of Darkness was going strong and a lot of my friends that got me into playing D&D, got me into playing Vampire and Changeling. Thus, I played a lot of those while decrying how bad D&D was. Looking back on it, AD&D 2e, the current edition, wasn't that bad.

A period I remember well and was playing the most. Our 2E game was far, far from the "core" and I did play some others.

Thats probably the period when D&D was most challenged for market share. Go into a game store, and not only were there all these other games, they had all these supplements etc of there own. According to Ryan Dancy, this bulkanized and undermined the whole industry...hmm

New Question: Do you like/prefer games with similar core mechanics?

Shades of Green

First Post
Right now I've just finished a BFRPG campaign and in a few months I'll start a Mongoose Traveller campaign; a little bit further into the future I might start a Savage Worlds post-apocalyptic campaign. So that's about three games which I currently "play".

In the past I've played and/or run D&D 2E, Babylon Project, Shadowrun 2E, Shadowrun 3E, D&D 3.0E and Shadowrun 4E, so, together with my current games, that's nine games in total.

Remove ads