D&D 5E How much Forgotten Realms have you used in your games?

Sammael

Adventurer
For those who run games in FR, or play in FR games, how much Faerûn have you covered? Creating a poll would be difficult, but perhaps with enough data maybe we can extrapolate what the most popular regions are.

I'll start myself. I've been running games in FR for well over 15 years now, and the regions I've used extensively (i.e. for more than one or two sessions) in campaigns and adventures include:

The Shaar (eastern part, from Toadsquat Mountains to the Rise, including Great Rift)
Western Heartlands (particular focus on Berdusk, Iriaebor, Hluthvar, Darkhold, Snakewood, Battle of Bones, Evereska, Orogoth, Well of Dragons)
Sword Coast (Baldur's Gate, Ardeep Forest, Nelanther Isles, Moonshae Isles, Lantan)
Unapproachable East (Thay, Rashemen)
Anauroch (both present day and during the Age of Netheril)
Cormyr (Marsember and the coast, Arabel, High Horn, Farsea Marshes, the Stonelands)
Sembia (Selgaunt)
Dalelands (mostly Archendale and High Dale, as well as Cormanthyr and Myth Drannor)
The North (Waterdeep, Red Larch, Triboar, Evermoors, Nesme, Griffon's Nest, Neverwinter)
The South (Amn, Sothillisian Empire, Dragon's Head Peninsula in Tethyr)

I have campaign sketches and concepts for more regions and cities, such as Unther, Thesk, Westgate, Secomber, Dire Wood, Damara, Shadowdale) - I just don't have the time to run them... but still, looking at the map, there is SO MUCH left to explore.

Dualazi

First Post
I've more or less stopped these days, but back when I was a fan of the realms I ran Cormyr, Chult, the Sword Coast (unsurprisingly), the Moonshae Isles, and Thay.

Not much. I run the APs but we pretty much ignore that they are set in the FR, or that there is more there than what we care about.

FR is hard to run without feeling intimidated by the vastness and the people who feel there is only one right FR and that if you get something wrong.... blah blah blah.

One of the reasons I'm so happy WotC refuses to publish a FRCS etc.

Pretty much zero. I homebrew.

Good inspiration though. A few city maps might make it in...

Basically this. I might steal a map here, a fraction of a plot there. But on the exceedingly rare occasions I don't homebrew, it's because I want a specific non-traditional-fantasy feel, and go with something like Eberron, Ravenloft, or Dark Sun.

transtemporal

Explorer
The Sword Coast mostly. One campaign based in Yartar/Silverymoon. Current campaign in Daggerford.
Empires of Intrigue. One campaign based in a homebrew realms where Amn had developed firearms, then went stomping around the south taking over Tethyr and Calimshan.
Unapproachable East. One campaign set in Aglarond, Rashemen, Vassa, Damara - Bloodstone pass!!!

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
None. When I first started D&D, my good friend who got me into the game had read every Forgotten Realms novel in existence at that time. The task of running a game in Forgotten Realms with his daunting knowledge of the setting while having little to no knowledge myself was enough to put me off it.

For the next 25 years.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I frequently use the maps and set my campaigns after a cataclysmic event that wiped out all the major NPC's and/or Gods. Or just use the maps and ignore everything else.

ccs

41st lv DM
Over the years I've used:
The various Dales,
Zhentil Keep (sp?)
Cormyr (sp?)
Phlan,
The Moon Sea,
The Moonshea Isles,
Waterdeep & that whole chunk of the map,
The great big desert in the middle (whatever it's called),
Myth Dranor,
Whatever bits & areas have been important to various modules

Now most of this was done '94 & prior. So not all the source books were out for the various regions (or for some I just didn't have/buy ____ & wasn't worried about it). And only a fraction of the novels had been written.

What's much more likely to occur is that I read something FR based, like it, & add it into my own worlds/campaigns.

Shiroiken

Legend
My game is Gygaxian Greyhawk, so none there aside from some conversions from SCAG and VGtM.

One of my DMs had run a 5E FR campaign along the sword coast using Ghost of Dragonspear Castle as a base (it didn't provide anywhere near enough XP to level us where we needed to be for each story).

Daggerford
Trollbark Forest
Troll Hills
Baulder's Gate

Remove ads