How much treasure do classed monsters get?

occam

Adventurer
From the DMG, p. 51:

DMG said:
Monsters with Classes
Many monsters advance by adding class levels (see the Monster Manual). To determine treasure for monsters with class levels, first give them equipment. Use Table 4-23: NPC Gear Value (page 127) and use just their class levels to determine the value of their equipment. Then generate their treasure according to their monster entry and the rules under Building a Treasure, below. This may generate more items than the monster can use, and that's fine (see Custom Treasures, below).

From the Monster Manual, p. 291:

Monster Manual said:
Level Adjustment and Effective Character Level
If you choose to equip a monster with gear, use its ECL as its character level for purposes of determining how much equipment it can purchase. Generally, only monsters with an Advancement entry of "By character class" receive NPC gear; other creatures adding character levels should be treated as monsters of the appropriate CR and assigned treasure, not equipment.

Unless I'm reading something wrong, these seem contradictory to me. This question has come up before, here and elsewhere, but so far I can't discern a real consensus. Another popular option, which doesn't seem to match either rule, is to assign NPC gear according to CR.

Let's take some examples from the Monster Manual. I interpret the rules above like this:

ogre barbarian: ogre (4 HD, CR 3, +2 LA) barbarian 4
DMG: class level 4 (3300 gp) + CR 3 (900 gp) = 4200 gp
MM: ECL 10 NPC (16,000 gp) = 16,000 gp
straight CR: CR 7 NPC (2600 gp) = 2600 gp

harpy archer: harpy (7 HD, CR 4, +3 LA) fighter 7
DMG: class level 7 (7200 gp) + CR 4 (1200 gp) = 8400 gp
MM: ECL 17 NPC (100,000 gp) = 100,000 gp
straight CR: CR 11 NPC (21,000 gp) = 21,000 gp

troll hunter: troll (6 HD, CR 5, +5 LA) ranger 6
DMG: class level 6 (5600 gp) + CR 5 (1600 gp) = 7200 gp
MM: ECL 17 NPC (100,000 gp) = 100,000 gp
straight CR: CR 11 NPC (21,000 gp) = 21,000 gp

These are huge differences. In particular, the rule stated for classed monsters in the MM results in outrageously high-value gear.

What do you think? Is it really a contradiction, and if so, what do you use?

Last edited:

frankthedm

First Post
I say go with the DMG, FAR more same. I think somebody made a copy and paste error taking text from PC monsters. The DMG gear listing keeps monster more or less in line with the idea that non associated levels don't help the critter that much.

Last edited:

shilsen

Adventurer
Definitely go with the DMG. The MM will make monsters with class levels seriously overpowered vis-a-vis core races with class levels. Also, when using the DMG system, remember that when generating treasure using the base monster, it's done using the random tables, so it's liable to provide much less actual combat-usable equipment (if any) than if one just converted it to gp value and allowed items to be bought.

Spatula

Explorer
But intelligent monsters will sell/trade away stuff they can't use for stuff they can, IMO. :)

The MM take is a baaaad idea. Especially since a lot of monsters don't have an LA adjustment.

The real question is, use the loot-per-encounter table (by EL), use the NPC loot-by-level table (by EL/CR), or use the NPC loot-by-level table (by class levels).

Remove ads