D&D (2024) How much would you spend on monthly subscriptions for dnd?

How much would you spend on monthly subscriptions for dnd?

• $0

Votes: 92 60.9%
  • $10 or less

Votes: 45 29.8%
  • $25 or less

Votes: 13 8.6%
  • $50 or less

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • More than $50

Votes: 0 0.0%

How much would you spend per month on subscriptions related to dnd? This could be from dndbeyond, your VTT of choice, or even patreon subscriptions for things you use in your games.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Depends on what it gives. I use a vtt that has a one time purchase that sells content packs of assets & have spent a couple hundred dollars total but I'm pretty sure it averages out to 5-10$ a month or less if I spread the total out. dndbeyond fills a different niche though & that niche seems to cater almost exclusively towards players with it offering little of interest to me as a GM who buys physical books. It would depend heavily on how oned&d and dndbeyond evolves.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I voted $10 or less.

I would keep my annual subscription to Roll20, and that's it...but it's not exclusively a D&D expense for me. My friends and I play a lot of 5th Edition D&D on Roll20, but we also play a lot of older D&D editions (especially BECM/Rules Cyclopedia, 3.5E, and Pathfinder). And we also play Call of Cthulhu, GURPS, and Paranoia regularly on Roll20 as well.

So that's $100/year (or $8.33 a month), and it's for several games--not just D&D.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Let's see...here is my current "D&D" spending (all prices in USD):

$55 per year (~$5/month) on D&D Beyond Master Tier subscription (allows me to share unlocked content with players in my campaign, I can do this for 3 campaigns, up to 12 players per campaign, so I can share with 36 people)

$964 for purchasing everything on DDB. I didn't buy it all at once, but that is what the legendary bundle will cost you today, without a coupon or sale. If all that content was available as a subscription it might be worth it if I didn't already own it. 964 comes to about $80 per month, but I've bought content over a period of years. Much of that content is adventure content and many people are not going to use enough of the adventure content to make paying more than 5 to 10 per month on a subscription worth it if they can just instead buy the few books they want.

$12/month for my World Builder tier subscription with Forge-VTT. That gives me 2 GB of game data, 20 GB for assets library storage, 250 MB per file asset, no limit on number of worlds, any community modules or any assets bought from the Forge marketplace does not count towards storage asset library limit, save points, advanced invite management and user integration.

$50 my one-time purchase for Foundry license, which I host on Forge-VTT.

$10 per month to Patreon ($5 to Mr. Primate for DDB Importer for Foundry, allows for all monsters and characters to be imported into Foundry. Also support importing adventures, fully prepped, but there can be a quite a lag between when adventures are available in DDB and when they are fully complete for Foundry. $5 per month to Moulinette. This is a mod to Foundry to make it simple to create custom tiles among other things. The 5/month is primarily to get access to an ever growing library of artwork that integrates with the mod.

Total monthly digital D&D stuff subscription spend = $27 (rounded). But this price doesn't include the actual content.

If WotC could offer a subscription of $30/month that would give you access to all content on DDB plus the VTT tools, that would be an easy buy decisions for many people I think. If you already bought or choose to buy content rather than subscribe to it, then 15-20 per month makes sense for content sharing, character building and character sheets, and VTT. I think $50/year for everything would be the high end they could get away with, but I think 50 per month would price a lot of people out.

WotC's VTT would have to be really good to get me to pay an additional subscription or to end my Forge VTT subscription and only use the WotC VTT.

I mean Roll20 eventually sucked me into paying a few bucks a month by making it free until I reached my storage capacity for uploaded materials, and I'd rather pay a little than have to learn a new VTT, so I had to vote for up to 10$. But I never would have signed up for a paid service if I hadn't already invested all those hours into learning it, and had my groups using it.

Shiroiken

Legend
I said $0, but it's possible I could be suckered into something if the price was right and the product worthwhile. I tried using the free version of Beyond, but it just didn't seem like it would be worth paying for after buying the physical products. The subscription model has never appealed to me, even with VTT I use each week. I've considered getting Foundry, but as long as Roll20 is still quite workable at "free," this is a much less appealing option.

I mean Roll20 eventually sucked me into paying a few bucks a month by making it free until I reached my storage capacity for uploaded materials, and I'd rather pay a little than have to learn a new VTT, so I had to vote for up to 10$. But I never would have signed up for a paid service if I hadn't already invested all those hours into learning it, and had my groups using it.
I had the same issue, but instead I figured out how to go into my storage and delete everything instead. They don't make this particular option easy to find, but that's to be expected. The size per file is also a bit on the obnoxious side, but I've managed. The only feature that made me consider paying for Roll20 was Dynamic Lighting, but another DM in my group tried using and it was a nightmare.

Personally I don't like the idea of paying a monthly subscription, but in the recent discussions around the "under-monetized" comments, it became clear that many people already use some combination of subscription services.

I wonder about what the average person spends on stuff in the hobby per month. If I had to estimate for myself, I probably spend around $200 per year? Last year/18 months I backed the kickstarters for Vaesen, Mausritter, Herbalist's Primer, and Reach of the Roach God, was briefly subscribed to the lowest tiers for Necrotic Gnome and Luka Rejec on patreon, bought random zines via exalted funeral, and then just bought Death in Space as a gift for a friend. But then I also sold a bunch of rpg books that I wasn't using.

Owlbear Rodeo is so easy and has worked for my table, and because it is lightweight it is pretty fast. There's no character sheets or automation, however.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases