• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How much XP?

Recently in my group a young blue dragon (CR5) and an 8th level Barbarian defeated the party of four 5th level characters. I'm curious, what is the CR of four 5th level characters? How much XP would the young blue dragon and Barbarian8 get for defeating them? Thanks in advance for any help.....

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
The average PC has more gear than an equivalent NPC, not to mention greater motivation. For experience purposes, I'd give them a CR of level+1. (That is, each 5th-level PC would be a CR 6 monster.)

Any idea how that would apply to a CR5 dragon? He has 12 hit die already. Use the CR or try to work out an ECL? He hasn't aged so I can't advance him, I have to add class levels.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
For determining when a creature gains levels, you should always use ECL. There are a couple of sites that list ECLs for dragons; somebody will probably post a link shortly.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Roland Delacroix said:
Recently in my group a young blue dragon (CR5) and an 8th level Barbarian defeated the party of four 5th level characters. I'm curious, what is the CR of four 5th level characters? How much XP would the young blue dragon and Barbarian8 get for defeating them? Thanks in advance for any help.....

You usually award XP for the individual creature, so you give 4 times the amount of that a single CR 5 (or more, since PC's are stronger with their equipment and above-average stats). The EL of that encounter would be 9 (or 10, if you make them CR 6 each).
In cases, where many low-level creatures/charakters attack a stronger foe (where each individual is so low they won't award XP as a single creature), you have to adjust that ad-hoc. Usually a fixed amount of quest/story XP instead of battle XP is in order here, and determining the approximate EL of the creatures and awarding XP with that as the CR is a good guideline. It all depends on whether those creatures can even harm the charakters. A thousand Orks like described in the MM will have problems even harming the 20+ level party, but 1000 Wiz1 will be able to, with a thousand magic missiles.....

Remove ads