How Often Do You Lose Interest in Pre-Orders/KS By the Time They Arrive?

Retreater

Legend
So nowadays I back less and for many indie projects I don't even pretend I will play them (I simply give money because I want to see them happen).
That's a good way of looking at it - and it might help my perspective a bit.
When I'm a drop in a $1M+ Kickstarter, it's hard to feel like I helped contribute in a meaningful way. So maybe smaller companies would be a good focus for me, if I decide to start backing again.

Are we talking The Fantasy Trip or something else here?
Oh, boy. I forgot about mentioning TFT in my previous post. I was completely oversold on that one - hearing it described as "the best rules-lite OSR system with some good tactical play."
It might be my least favorite professionally produced RPG I've ever bought.

aramis erak

Legend
Are we talking The Fantasy Trip or something else here? Because I have to say, the changes in TFT's new edition don't even seem to warrent being called a new edition; I've seen second printings of games that had more.

But, you know, different people's sensitivity levels are different in these things...
The Fantasy Trip 2E has severalsupremely fundamental changes:
The methods for earning XP were made significantly shorter, less mechanical, albeit more clear as to how much and removing most of the why.
The cost of raising attributes, relative to typical XP per session, also has changed drastically.
Further, IQ no longer limits the number of languages, talents, and spells. Further, new talents and spells are 500 per slot, not incrementing in cost.

Those are deeply fundamental changes to the game.
That a dozen talents have been altered, and half a dozen spells? Annoying, but not deeply fundamental in the way advancement works being changed is.

Thomas Shey

Legend
The Fantasy Trip 2E has severalsupremely fundamental changes:
The methods for earning XP were made significantly shorter, less mechanical, albeit more clear as to how much and removing most of the why.
The cost of raising attributes, relative to typical XP per session, also has changed drastically.
Further, IQ no longer limits the number of languages, talents, and spells. Further, new talents and spells are 500 per slot, not incrementing in cost.

Those are deeply fundamental changes to the game.
That a dozen talents have been altered, and half a dozen spells? Annoying, but not deeply fundamental in the way advancement works being changed is.

You clearly know the original game better than I do (I own it, but only ever ran a handful of sessions and that--well, a long time ago) so I'll take your word on it. I have to admit I don't recall new talents and spells incrementing at all.

aramis erak

Legend
You clearly know the original game better than I do (I own it, but only ever ran a handful of sessions and that--well, a long time ago) so I'll take your word on it. I have to admit I don't recall new talents and spells incrementing at all.
In original, when you raised IQ, you got more talent slots, which you could save or fill...

Besides, before posting, I double checked my copy of original ITL and my PDF of LE-ITL. When I'm grousing about changes, I'm usually double checking to make certain I'm remembering the right things.

Thomas Shey

Legend
In original, when you raised IQ, you got more talent slots, which you could save or fill...

Besides, before posting, I double checked my copy of original ITL and my PDF of LE-ITL. When I'm grousing about changes, I'm usually double checking to make certain I'm remembering the right things.

Well, the only thing I noticed when I read it was the change in attribute progression costs, but like I said, I last did anything with the original, well, 30 years ago, so...

pemerton

Legend
I haven't been a backer of many Kickstarter projects, but have been happy with the ones I have: various books from BWHQ/Luke Crane; Prince Valiant; Orbital; maybe that's it?

HorusZA

Explorer
I burned out on 7th Sea 2nd Edition.
After the PDF of the Core rules came out, I lost interest in the game. Totally not my jam. Haven't read any of the updates, new book releases or anything.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I've literally backed Kickstarters and lost interest in the entire game system they were designed for before the product was delivered. So yes, I feel your pain.

Anything in my game library (RPG or boardgame) is something I'm interested in playing at some point. I'm not always excited about a KS or pre-order at the time the box arrives - my focus is usually elsewhere.

However, my experience is that at some point I will find the desire and interest to play. That can take months, and it can take years, but I make very few purchasing decisions which I outright regret.

Remove ads