How Often Do You Lose Interest in Pre-Orders/KS By the Time They Arrive?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I'm always a little shocked at just how many projects some folks back. I'm pretty picky about things I will actually use enthusiastically. Which, comes down to about 2 projects a year. If I grabbed everything I had even a tinkle of interest in, I'd likely lose interest too.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Pretty much never. I don't back that many projects and I have the attention span of a monkey on a Skittles diet these days anyway, so I enjoy the PDF when I initially back a project and then I get new enjoyment when the book finally actually shows up.

Sometimes the arrival of the actual book will prod me into trying to actually use it, so in those cases it's kind of the opposite.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't understand what you mean. I'm less and less inclined to back something that Im not going to see for most likely 12-24 months anymore.
One of the reasons you gave for losing interest in Kickstarter was “it seems more and more everything is being Kickstarted.” I just found it odd that that would be a factor.

Retreater

Legend
I'm always a little shocked at just how many projects some folks back. I'm pretty picky about things I will actually use enthusiastically. Which, comes down to about 2 projects a year. If I grabbed everything I had even a tinkle of interest in, I'd likely lose interest too.
I'm still searching for that perfect system.
For dungeon crawling board games, for example, I purchased many in an attempt to find something like the original HeroQuest from my youth (Altar Quest, Descent, Massive Darkness, Imperial Assault, Doom, Shadows of Brimstone, every D&D Adventure System product, etc.) Nothing worked the way I wanted and I spent a lot of time/money/enthusiasm in the pursuit. Now that the original HeroQuest has been reissued, I'm actually satisfied with dungeon crawling board games - I could get rid of all the others and never care (I guess, except that I like the minis and have painted them).
So far I've found that no TTRPG has "it." I was able to really define what I enjoyed about HeroQuest over other dungeon crawlers. I'm not having the same luck with TTRPGs.

payn

I'm still searching for that perfect system.
For dungeon crawling board games, for example, I purchased many in an attempt to find something like the original HeroQuest from my youth (Altar Quest, Descent, Massive Darkness, Imperial Assault, Doom, Shadows of Brimstone, every D&D Adventure System product, etc.) Nothing worked the way I wanted and I spent a lot of time/money/enthusiasm in the pursuit. Now that the original HeroQuest has been reissued, I'm actually satisfied with dungeon crawling board games - I could get rid of all the others and never care (I guess, except that I like the minis and have painted them).
So far I've found that no TTRPG has "it." I was able to really define what I enjoyed about HeroQuest over other dungeon crawlers. I'm not having the same luck with TTRPGs.
I think Dungeon Crawling board game is a pretty specific thing. There are, of course, many ways to do it as you mention. Though, I also think HeroQuest is the one in this product type. With TTRPGs, however, I think there are many genres and systems that do different things. For me, there is one fantasy RPG, one Sci-Fi, and one x,y,z. By one I mean my absolute favorite and if I have a say its what I'm using. Im still open to other systems, but I let other people back them and convince me to play once they get them. YMMV.

payn

For me, I can't even limit it to one fantasy RPG, one Sci-Fi, one horror, etc.
I am, however, at least starting to define what I definitely don't like from certain categories.
By one, I mean my favorite game, the one I invest in, the one I want to run. I'll certainly paly others, and sometimes my one changes based on those plays. Though, my investment in products and KS usually sits with my favs and not just piling up stuff.

Crusadius

Adventurer
I often find my interest wanes when the product delivery is far later than originally promised. A kickstarter that delivers years later than first estimated are the main culprits.

I understand regarding the example above about the last books from WFRP 4E’s The Enemy Within Campaign, but the PDFs were out as soon as you could pre-order so by the time the physical books arrive you’ve likely finished using the product so will just shelve them without much of a glance.

But this also brings to mind a time long past when I was in a Mage The Ascension 2E game that finished, and a friend complained that The Order of Hermes Tradition splatbook having been just published afterwards but could not be used anymore (just shelved and eventually forgotten, most likely not even used as interests changed).

Last edited:

The-Magic-Sword

Small Ball Archmage
So far it hasn't, but my turnaround time from wanting to try a new game to actually getting to is so long I haven't really gotten to move on from anything either-- so for instance, I kickstarted Mummy the Curse, and Hunter the Vigil, but I've yet to play any COFD, as much as I love reading the books. I'm a little wary of Avatar, because I have a tumultous (but not entirely negative) relationship with Masks, I might love it especially since it has some better support for framing fight scenes, I might even go back to Masks with the right group and end up loving that as well-- but I also might not, at least there's a lot of neat Avatar paraphanelia in that one.

Battlezoo is great because I can just add it immediately to my PF2e game, and we've been happy with our dragons; the monster parts lite table is a super great source of supplemental cash for my West Marchesthat hasn't defined the game (its less efficient than finding treasure caches) but a nice consolation for the time spent fighting. I'm def kickstarting their upcoming Eldamon book, and the new Ancestries for PF2e.

The bigger risk is kickstarting something and then never getting to use it even though I'm still interested in it because of time, circumstances, and players who are recalcitrant toward trying new games.

Remove ads