D&D 5E How often do you make OA’s

How often do you make OA’s when playing a melee PC [excluding PAM]?

ccs

41st lv DM
Generally somewhere between once & more than once per encounter. So it probably averages out to once?
It also depends upon the DM, the encounter/foes, & the character I'm playing.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
My players don't like to give their enemies OAs if it can be helped and, depending on the monster, mosters try to avoid granting OAs, too. So OAs are fairly rare in the games I've run or played in. There will be whole session where there are none.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I don't play tanks, I play skirmishers. (Even as a Paladin, I kept moving around to cover the other PCs.) The last thing I want is to end my turn within melee range of a bruiser. Therefore I get few such Attacks due to lack of Opportunity.

My experience is that the melees (usually including me) average about 1 OA/encounter, barring Feats and weird situations and so on, in 5E. Some specific situations can massively boost it - i.e. to practically 1/round, but it's rare. More common is an encounter where no OAs happen.

This is a stark contrast to 3E and 4E, where spells and ranged attacks provoked OAs, as did a bunch of other stuff, and where you could have multiple OAs very easily, so many rounds had loads of them.

Retreater

Legend
I take them every time I can, which is usually less than once per session because my DMs play their monsters tactically and do not present the opportunity.

aco175

Legend
As the DM, I tend to have creatures run away based on their tactics and how intelligent they are. Bandits and such may give up or try to run away. Sometimes I make a morale check for a group and they all my try to flee leaving only one attack, but typically only one is left and he would get 3 attacks on him so he tries to disengage or kill the PC to allow him to flee.

The PCs themselves hate to give attacks to the monsters with the exception of the fighter who may flee from mooks to head to the mage or the BBEG. Generally 1/day the PCs do this and about the same for the monsters.

Iry

Hero
The threat of OA prevents provoking quite often, but low intelligence enemies provoke a fair amount. Also players/enemies who want to bypass a tank to get to someone squishier.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Difficult to quantify like this.

I use a homebrew rule that combatants in melee that roll 1 on their attacks leave themselves wide open, and allow enemies within melee with them to make an OA.

Sometimes no one in melee rolls a 1, sometimes multiple 1s are rolled by multiple players/NPCs.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases