How often do you play a differently-gendered character when gaming?

How often do you like to play a character of a different gender than yourself?

• 1. I exclusively play characters of different genders than myself.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • 2. I often play characters of different genders than myself.

Votes: 19 19.6%
  • 3. I sometimes play characters of different genders than myself.

Votes: 43 44.3%
  • 4. I rarely play characters of different genders than myself.

Votes: 23 23.7%
  • 5. I never play characters of different genders than myself.

Votes: 11 11.3%

• Poll closed .

aramis erak

Legend
I guess this is necessary to say today- please don't make this political. I apologize in advance if I used any incorrect verbiage (gender/sex/etc.).

The poll is from 1-5. 1 is always play different gender(s) from yourself; 5 is never play different gender(s) from yourself. The others are in between.
I answered as a player, a role I seldom get. And that is "Rarely."

As a GM, I don't do it as often as I should, but it's still not uncommon.

Voadam

Legend
I am three games into playing my first opposite sex character as a player.

I have been playing and DMing since 1980.

My default is to play my own gender but I took over an existing NPC as I joined this campaign to accomodate the ongoing story aspects of the campaign and make for instant party integration. Three of the four male players in this group are playing female characters.

In our latest campaign (before the coronavirus put it on hold) one of my groups had a situation where EVERYONE was playing a cross-gender PC. The one female player was running a male PC. The four male players were running female PCs. We did not plan that but it just happened.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
In our latest campaign (before the coronavirus put it on hold) one of my groups had a situation where EVERYONE was playing a cross-gender PC. The one female player was running a male PC. The four male players were running female PCs. We did not plan that but it just happened.

I've been in campaigns like that, both by design (or at least, a conscious decision before chargen) and by happenstance (where that just happened to be the way things happened).

Asisreo

Patron Badass
The gender's an afterthought for me. I make the outline of the character and just kinda make it work. I've always wanted to play an amazon, so when I had the chance, I made them a "her." She's not into love and I don't intend to ever take her in that direction. She's essentially asexual until credits roll.

I do like playing male tieflings, though. My first 5e character was a tiefling cleric and I wanted him to be as visibly evil but internally kind as possible. Basically, low charisma but high kindness and gentleness. He wouldn't hurt a fly if it wasn't hurting others but he always looked devilish and scheming. Don't know why I went into so much detail, but that's the gist.

About 50/50

Remove ads