D&D 5E How Often Do You Use Grids?

How often do you use grids in your 5e game?

• Never (only theater of the mind - no grids)

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • Rarely (climactic battles - around once every other session)

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • Occasionally (averaging out to once a session)

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • Regularly (most battles are on a grid)

Votes: 31 39.7%
  • Every battle

Votes: 15 19.2%
  • I use grids for even roleplaying encounters

Votes: 7 9.0%

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
When running games other than D&D, almost never.

When running or playing D&D... sometimes. And when we do, it is decent odds we are not worrying about every 5' square. When the situation is very simple, in terms of tactical positioning, I'm probably not using a grid, and use theater of the mind instead. When the tactical situation is a tad more complicated, such that it would be a burden and error-prone to expect everyone to remember all the elements in play, then a grid comes out.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Since I've been playing online (using Tabletop Simulator), the gid is a regular feature.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I run my games on a tvbox with arkenforge on my laptop (Think of it like a meatspace roll20 or something) so pretty much use grids all the time unless a fight is more of a narrative speed bump than something to feel threatened by. Generic maps like a fprest road, lakeside cabin, etc get reused frequently & are often just representative of a generic stretch of road rather than an exact thing.

Shiroiken

Legend
Wish I could vote twice. I currently only game on Roll20, where the mapping system makes it extremely convenient to do combat via grid, since you already have the exploration area mapped out anyway. Occasionally a non-standard combat will occur, where I'll just use TotM, but in general the grid is a constant.

That said, back when I DMed IRL, I almost never used minis, mostly because I didn't own them. I had a dry erase grid map that I would use for major combats, but our "minis" were often coins and other chits. One of my favorite combats involved a near infinite number of weak monsters summoned every round to protect the BBEG, so I used a giant bag of skittles for them (you eat what you kill) and everyone had a fantastic time.

Ashrym

Legend
Both TotM and grid regularly. The grid has nothing to do with tactics. That can be done TotM just fine. The grid makes it easier to illustrate relative position and track things. I've used X's and O's on a chalkboard too.

delphonso

Explorer
In almost all my games, it's theatre of the mind. My players are improv and roleplay heavy - and generally try to solve problems without violence, so combat doesn't happen every session.

The game I'm currently a player in has been using gridless maps as well. Very nice honestly when the GM can just say something is 25ft instea d of 30 to get the halfling there early.

Remove ads