D&D General How often do your adventurers have lengthy - months+ - preparations?

This depends wholly on which edition you're playing. 5e has no such checks. You can either cast the spell or you can't. There is no chance of failure.
Verbal components dont become an issue?

Also most of the issues are unnaffected by whether you can technically cast the spell (as far as the spell casting option goes)

The back up is the druid. There's no reason to make rings. Again 0 resources used vs 5000+gp per ring. I'm not at home so I can't look up the magic item tables, but there are a lot more things you can spend your gold on than creating magic items, especially redundant ones. Water breathing does not protect against environmental hazards such as cold, darkness, pressure, the deterioration of your items. So the idea of wasting money on multiple rings that cast the same spell 2 of your casters already can cast is STUPID. If you found a ring, I would agree it would be a superior option, but creating or buying one or multiple rings isn't.
Furthermore i did not assumr 5e when i made all those posts.

That said, still a lot of issues going with spells. The fact you CAN cast a spell wont solve most of the issues that exist. Especially something like party seperation.

I can drink a bottle of Dr. Pepper underwater with no problem at all. Now, maybe if I was in combat or swimming against a fast current it would be a different story and worth a check. But not in calm waters.

No, if you can breathe underwater, you can cast spells and use magic items. If you can't, you can't.
You cant breath until youve cast the spell. There are plenty of scenarios wherein you arent currently under the effect of the spell yet. This is relevant to much of what i said.

What if you go through an anti magic field. what if you get dispelled. Spell casting just doesnt take care of most of the reasons why rings are so good when it comes to water breathing if its specific an aquatic heazy campaign.

I can drink a bottle of Dr. Pepper underwater with no problem at all. Now, maybe if I was in combat or swimming against a fast current it would be a different story and worth a check. But not in calm waters.
In 5e how much of the potion has to get in you? Will foreign liquids ruin it (pretty sure in most editioms it does)

neogod22

Explorer
Furthermore i did not assumr 5e when i made all those posts.

That said, still a lot of issues going with spells. The fact you CAN cast a spell wont solve most of the issues that exist. Especially something like party seperation.
If the party is separated for more than 24hrs, then those separated would probably already be dead anyway. Separation is not a good option, but if you were going to split into groups, then it would be a smart idea to put the druid in one group and the Wizard in another. Players that are too stupid to understand this deserve to die. Being that they habe to be higher than 5th level for this discussion to take place, I would hope they were smarter than that.

If the party is separated for more than 24hrs, then those separated would probably already be dead anyway. Separation is not a good option, but if you were going to split into groups, then it would be a smart idea to put the druid in one group and the Wizard in another. Players that are too stupid to understand this deserve to die. Being that they habe to be higher than 5th level for this discussion to take place, I would hope they were smarter than that.
How the party gets split up can easily be not a choosing matter. One could say assuming that would just happen every time is itself stupid ;)

neogod22

Explorer
In 5e how much of the potion has to get in you? Will foreign liquids ruin it (pretty sure in most editioms it does)
Since potions are magic, the liquid in the potion doesn't matter, and normal liquids getting in usually won't effect the potion itself. That's really up to the DM. The rules only state bad things happen when you mix potions. Also stated in the rules, you can taste a potion in order to identify it, so a sip may give you a minor magical effect of what the potion does, but you have to drink the majority of the contents for the full effect.

Remove ads