• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How old do you have to be to play Dnd?

ruleslawyer

I'm in the "listen to your mother" camp, only because you simply can't afford a confrontation with her about this kind of issue. IMX (and I am not a parent, although plenty of my friends are), parents have good reasons for restricting their children's conduct. However, if possible, I might try to have a mature discussion about this with your mother about the right age for D&D. Perhaps show her this thread (I imagine many of the people posting here are of her generation or approximate age) and ask her what her concerns are, and if we can respond to them. Is her concern religious (i.e., that D&D encompasses symbology of a potentially religion-related content that may encourage non-Christian behavior)? Is it a concern about the violence inherent in the game? Is it that the game is too mechanical or competitive? Let her explain why she's worried, and then perhaps the two of you can figure out what the right solution might be.

As for me, I started playing when I was 6 [1980], in my friend's older brother's group (older brother in question being 14). No real issues with handling the game, but I was always precocious (we played Village of Hommlet, and then G1-3). A very PG-oriented description of violence (foes were always "defeated" or "knocked down") and no obvious sexual content. I personally don't remember the mechanics being particularly tricky either; I was already playing Chess, Scrabble, and Stratego by that point, and I distinctly remember rolling up my first PC (Arroth Strongblade the paladin, Cha 18 boo-ya!) and walking through Demogorgon's stat block and being awed that only a +2 weapon could even harm him, all this before actually playing. Now, all of this may present a different experience for you and your brothers, but perhaps your mother might like to figure out a way to work with all these folks out here in the online community to establish proper boundaries?

Balgus

First Post
my six year old nephew has een playing for three years- at least. Now- cthere hasnt been ANY rules, more or less. But he does have a great imagination, and I used to tell him stories with him as the hero. As he grew up, I strated having him fill in some gaps and now he acts out what he does.

He just strated first grade and learning to read. I n a year or so, I will introduce him to a real game. but until then, he loves swinging a stick, and dressing up - in whatever he can.

apegod

First Post
I have been DM'ing since 1981. When 3rd edition came out my brothers and I started playing with our kids. It was the most fun, I had playing since I was about 13 years old! We now have 4 kids who play regularly. They started at 7, 7, 8, 5. Depends on maturity and attention span. The 7 year olds are now 13 and 11 both in gifted programs at their sckools. The 8 year old now 11 started a little latter because of maturity. The 5 year old, really wanted to play bad, sometimes lacks maturity and attention span, but she is picking up the game and it gives here a reason to do addition problems.

Side benefit, is that I'll never run out of players! MY party is getting too big. I am going to start a kids only campaign. I have 4 daughters who eventually will make an in-house adventuring party.

Tips: 7 or 8 is an good starting age. Buy 'em their own dice. Start kids off with the simplified character sheets like in the 3.5 ed D&D begginers box set. They like hack and slash and rooms with puzzles. Stear clear of any mature subjects, complicated roleplaying, or morale ambiguity. Your sessions can only be as long as their attention span. Be willing to accept their input. (e.g. poly pockets cats for familars, little troll dolls for trolls, drawing pictures their characters, etc.) Looking pack we used pretzels and cheese balls for miniatures. Be excepting of their fresh approaches to the game as they learn. My all time favorite was "open all of the doors to find treasure, try to kill all of the monsters at once, retreat forward through the dungeon!, learn to loot the bodies for treasure.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads