• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How old were you when your first GMed an RPG?

How old were you when your first GMed an RPG?

• 1-10

Votes: 17 13.0%
  • 11-13

Votes: 59 45.0%
  • 14-16

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • 17-19

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • 20-24

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • 25-29

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • 30-35

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 36-40

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 41-50

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • 51+

Votes: 0 0.0%

Shiroiken

Legend
Officially 15, but I actually wrote my own RPG and adventure when I was 13 because my brother wouldn't let me play D&D with his friends. I never actually got to run the game, because my brother's DM found it, and allowed me to join his game anyway. I brought my two friends I was going to run it for into the D&D game shortly afterwards.

Mercule

Adventurer
I was 10. Learned the game at summer camp. Came home and taught friends. Logical extension of that is that I was the GM. I'd definitely played less than a half dozen sessions, maybe as few as two, before turning into a nearly full-time GM. Over the last 45 years, I've probably GMed 80% of my gaming time.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
HS Freshman, beginning of the school year, so 13. I had discovered D&D and Gamma World at school, and talked my parents into letting me buy GWvol1. My cousins came over for a weekend and we tried playing a completely-random Gamma World scenario. We found out that none of us were that good at on-the-fly descriptions.

As a player, same time frame, I created a Brontosaurus character that I never decided if he was man-sized or Brontosaurus-sized. To get away from some raiders, I stepped into the river and submerged briefly, then came up next round and used Radiated Eyes on the lead bandit. (Microwaves were a new invention back then.) The DM then noticed the entry for the Herkel ('piranha') and said to me "Guess what you stepped into?"

My first D&D session, I borrowed a friend's character as we explored some ruined temple. We found an altar to Thor; my character made a reverence but he threw his hammer at me - a hit - down to 2HP! The other fellow in the group says "I disbelieve in you" and Thor disappears. I wasn't sure the group would invite me back...

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I was 15 when I ran my first game, but I had started playing at 14. A friend had bought the original Earthdawn book and started a campaign - he wasn't a great GM, but nobody is on their first go.

A year or so later I was in a different school and a bunch of people were playing D&D. That's when I discovered that the Dragonlance books I loved so much were based on D&D, and I was running a game based in Krynn within a month.

If I were to describe the campaign in a word, it would be "memorable." And I don't necessarily mean it as a compliment.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
My youngest son ran a game of Hero Kids when he was 6. I helped him create the dungeon in Dungeonographer and print to paper, but he populated it on his own and tied it together with a story. Both of my son's inherited the DM gene from me I think. Now at 8 and 12 they are each running their own campaigns and I can finally play instead of DM. The other benefit of having your young kids DMs is that it is the most effective way to get your non-gamer spouse to play!

Scottius

Adventurer
I was in the 6th grade when I first discovered roleplaying. So around 11 or 12 depending on what month it was. I began my gaming career by GMing right out the gate. I had discovered a trove of RPG books at the local library (a little D&D and a bunch of TMNT & Other Strangeness books). I recruited friends from school to be my first gaming group after I was able to track down the odd dice required at a local comic book store.

BaytAlAzif

First Post
Under 10 for sure. I remember my first RPG (a fatal run with my brother into the Caves of Chaos under a genius babysitter DM) but I have no idea what I DMed first! It must have pretty soon after that, but I can't remember. Huh. I'll ask my brother and see if he has any memories of it!

Remove ads