• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How "out" are you?

How "out" are you?

• I wear my gencon shirt to work and tried to recruit my boss and priest

Votes: 34 16.6%
  • i am out to certain folk, but i am picky

Votes: 67 32.7%
  • i don't deny it, but don't hide it

Votes: 98 47.8%
  • i deny it, sometimes even when caught with core books

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • i told my girlfriend i was havuing an affair on wednesday nights to avoid her knowing i game

Votes: 2 1.0%

wallshot

First Post
uberkitty said:
There should have been another option: "I'm female."

In my experience, women are unashamed about being gamers, probably for the reasons kengar stated about his wife. That, and the fact that geeky proclivities make women more attractive--at least to men with geeky proclivities, of whom there are many.

Also, I've noticed that male gamers who are in committed relationships tend to be more honest about their activities, since it's not going to hurt their chances with the ladies.

Just outta curiousity, how long have U been gaming? Your insight is suprisingly acurate (for a girl :p ). I was never very open about my gaming lifestyle, but as soon as i got in a serious relationship (with a girl who doesnt game) i have felt less of a need to hide what i do.

oh yeah, how did U get N2 gaming?

Oogar

First Post
I am a gamer.

I am allergic to many things.

I am a Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan.

If a person knows me well enough to know one of these things, they most likely know the other two as well. I don't hide, I don't do anything but be myself. I am not a missionary that feels all others must be gamers, and converted to gamerism. I feel about gaming the way that my Jewish friends feel about being Jewish. It is not so much religion, it is simply a way of being, a way of traditions, a culture.

I am a gamer.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I don't wear the t-shirt, but I checked the first choice. What's to hide? I make my living at this. Now, I don't start every conversation with strangers with "What class and level are you?" or ask for their allignment, but I've always been up-front about my hobby. But then I've always been a self-confident nerd.

Methinkus

First Post
Here’s the thing: for me gaming is not as big a secret as the fact that I go to church every Sunday. If my friends/family/people-on-the-street found out about that they would more than likely be weirded out by it, and some of them I do not doubt would stop talking to me. The world is a twisted place, no?

cbatt

First Post
I'm a well hidden gamer. I don't speak about it in public, unless at a gaming store. The people at work know I'm into games, they just equate that with board games and video games. If outright asked, I'd probably not shy from it, but I won't get into detail unless the other person turns out to be a gamer/former gamer as well.

My wife also plays, and she is less inhibited than me about discussing it. She doesn't go around with her books or anything, but she will talk about it with her friends (who don't game, but they're all tolerant, if a bit confused by the whole thing).

I hate calling it "role playing" for the exact same reasons as Sigma. ("You mean, like Zorro? Jesus! I don't wanna know what goes on in your private life dude. We just work together. Sheesh...!")

arwink

Clockwork Golem
alsih2o said:
is gaming geeky in singapore? australia? turkey? france?

In Australia, to a certain extent, yeah. I don't think its just gaming though, more that gaming tends to be part of a larger, geekier lifestyle.

Of course, gaming is much less-well known down here.

Personally, I just reguard gaming as another thing I do. I talk about gaming with my gamer friends, I talk about other stuff with other people. Most people I know are at least aware that a game, even if I don't talk about it (mostly because talking about gaming to non-gamers tends to bore them...).

Lothar

First Post
What hobby?

I keep all of my "offensive materials" in a backpack and a foot locker. My roommates (hopefully) have no idea that I game. I have a few standard excuses for why I always seem to be gone on the same night of the week, but a lot of them are come up with on the spot. None of my co-workers know my dark secret, nor do my old friends. There are a total of two people that know the truth, and they have kept my secret.

I only check this board out when I am alone. And I only read gaming materials in my locked bedroom. My social schedule is otherwise jam-packed. I dread the wildfire that would be created if even one person at work would find out.

But I have fun. And I enjoy gaming. Hiding it from others is real-life role playing. And I've maxed-out my bluff.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Poor people! :)

I'm generaly open...I tell people about it who ask, and if you know me well enough, you probably know I do it. I don't hide it...but I'm not exactly going up to chicks in the bar saying "Hey, baby, you're a 10 HD woman!"

I consider myself a fairly moderate geek. I don't read comics, I don't use minis, I don't own T-shirts with my gamerhood on them....

But I do carry my books around a lot, and I'm not afraid to smile and tell people that I play D&D, if it comes up. I have them on a shelf, and I'll gladly show them to any interested parties.

I have introduced a whole mess o' people to D&D in just a few years since 3e came out. My then-girlfriend, her roommate, the half-japanese girl accross the hall, a girl down the hall from me...heck, because I played with so many chicks, most of their guy-friends found out and at least showed up to watch the story, if not play in it. :)

And I do think the girls are more open than the guys. They know that they can get people to satisfy their romantic needs even if they *do* game....'cuz there's a lot of guys and most of them are rather pathetic. :) Guys, meanwhile, note that most women (though not all of them) won't touch 'em with a 9 1/2-ft. pole if they found out they were "D&D Nerds." It's associated with a negative stereotype that most people don't want to be cast in (at least, not right away)....and stereotypes are prevalent, even if they're usually not true. Say you're a gamer, and there's a whole mess of things associated with that image...which may or may not be true.

I'm a nerd. But there's no reason to limit my gettin'-it-on possibilities advertising that. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads