How Quickly Do You Read?

How many days (on average) would it take you to read a 500-page novel?

• 3 Days or Fewer

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • 4-5 Days

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • 6-7 Days

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • 8-9 Days

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • 10-11 Days

• 12-13 Days

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 14-15 Days

• 16 Days or More

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • I don't read all that much, I have no idea.

Votes: 1 2.4%

I read the most when I travel. I used to travel regularly for work. Now, not so much. 500 pages would probably be 4 days with a longer round trip flight, a week with closer trip, or 6 months at home.

Also, some things read a lot faster than others. 500 pages of HP Lovecraft would probably take 3 times longer than, let's say, Scott Westerfeld. But I would enjoy both.

Zardnaar

Legend
I could do it in a day or to but probably. More like a week. I voted for 6-7 days.

If it's really good night hang it out in a weekend but going by my results on current books yeah.

TheAlkaizer

Game Designer
It really depends! I think the two biggest factors are how much time I have available in these days, and what kind of text I'm reading.

For example, I reread the first Harry Potter a few weeks ago for nostalgia's sake. It's about 300 pages. I started after lunch and finished before dinner. It's a very light read. But when I'm reading some thicker and nastier novels, my reading speed is much slower (english is not my mother tongue though).

If I'm on holidays, I can probably read a nasty 500 page novels in about two days. When I have about an hour or two of reading a night when I'm working, it might take a week or more.

GreyLord

Legend
It depends on how much time I devote to it. I read in spurts. That means sometimes I go through a book in a day or two, other times it takes weeks.

turnip_farmer

Adventurer
I find the choice of options on the poll hilarious.

"Do you read books very quickly, extremely quickly, absurdly quickly, or instantaneously?"

Usually takes me weeks to finish a book. Main exceptions are when I have something like an intercontinental flight with its associated hours of uninterrupted reading time. But that hasn't happened for more than a year thanks to Covid.

Ulfgeir

Hero
Depends on the my time and stamina at the moment, and the type of book, and how well written it is (some books have such clunky languages that they are a pain to read). I used to be able to read much faster than I do now. I think I used to be able to do it in 3 days or fewer. But again, it depends.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
I put 10 days because I aim always to read a minimum of 50 pages a day, which takes me about 45 mins to do, and life is getting back to busy normal(-ish) atm.

If it was a great book and I had the time to spare I'd read it in 1-2 days, but that's not how it works anymore- my time is much less my own.

I read a lot, I've a thread on here in which I'm reading my way through all of the Forgotten Realms novel, I managed 84 in the first year but I've slowed right down and now read a 'normal' book between each FR offering-

I've read this way all of my life, certainly since my late teens when I was a soldier and my life ping-ponged between long stretches of nothing and boredom, to short bursts of (mostly) simulated terror. I used to keep a bibliography, only I called it my book list, for a lot of years- until it fell apart. I read 50-ish books every year and have done so for the last 35 or so years.

Stay safe and well.

Cheers goonalan

Dioltach

Legend
My vote is for an audiobook, which I hope is permissable.
Me too. I spend all day translating, so in my spare time I just don't have the energy to read for fun. So I've switched to audiobooks, anywhere from 15 minutes before bedtime to a couple of hours on days like today, when it's sunny for the first time in months and I'm skiving off.

I remember reading The Elfstones of Shannara (600+ pages) in less than a day when I was a teenager, and some years ago I got through four books on one Transatlantic flight, but nowadays I just don't have the concentration.

Remove ads