• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How should I pronounce Tiefling?

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
@ 21:05 Rabbi asks: “How do you pronounce the following words: githyanki, otyugh, Sehanine, falchion, reagent, treant, eladrin?” (Bonus words: drow, bulette)

:)
I dunno what their answers were for this, but my pronounciations have always been:

GITH-yankee
AUGH-teh-yug
see-HA-neen
FAL-she-yun
REE-agent
TRAY-aunt
eh-LAA-drin
drow (rhymes with plow)
BULL-et (same as the gun ammo)

I'd be curious as to how many of mine are technically "correct". I think my biggest perpetual mis-pronounciation is I always say "CHIM-er-ah", as opposed to some of my friends insisting it's pronounced "ky-MARE-ah".

Cam Banks

Adventurer
I'd be curious as to how many of mine are technically "correct". I think my biggest perpetual mis-pronounciation is I always say "CHIM-er-ah", as opposed to some of my friends insisting it's pronounced "ky-MARE-ah".

I think in general you seem to be placing the emphasis on the first syllable when it's usually the second, but that's a common thing. Chimera really is pronounced ky-MARE-uh, but it looks as if it should be pronounced CHIM-er-ah. That's pretty much why people mispronounce game words, and if nobody corrects them, they don't have any reason to say it any other way.

Cheers,
Cam

Remove ads