6) TRAY-aunt
7) eh-LAA-drin
8) drow (rhymes with plow)
9) BULL-et (same as the gun ammo)

1) same
2) I say "OH-tee-ug"
3) I say "SAY-ah-neen"
4) Exactly as spelled: Fal'chun
5) I say "Reegent" (like region with a 't')
6) I say "tree-ant" (said quickly, not like Tree . . . Ant)
7) same
8) same
9) same, though knowing some french doesn't help me in how I want to pronounce it: Bu-LAY

Masquerade

First Post
I pronounce it like the word "tie" followed by the word "fling." I don't particularly care whether it's the "official" pronunciation.

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
Wow, I pronounce alomst all of those differently.

gith-YANG-kee
OH-teh-YUG
SEH-ha-neen
FAL-she-yun (SAME)
ree-AY-gent
TREE-ent
ee-LAA-drin
drow (rhymes with plow) (SAME)
boo-LET

BoMbY

First Post
As "Tiefling" is derived from the German language, it should be pronounced like a German word (exactly like in the video). So the "Tie" sounds like "tee" or "tea" and than "fling". "Tief" means something like "deep", and "-ling" means the same as in english (like in "Halfling" where the German word is "Halbling").

mattdm

First Post
@ 21:05 Rabbi asks: “How do you pronounce the following words: githyanki, otyugh, Sehanine, falchion, reagent, treant, eladrin?” (Bonus words: drow, bulette)

I find it pretty funny that crazy made up D&D words like "reagent" and "falchion" made the list. I mean, how would anyone figure out how to pronounce those?

eamon

Explorer
Wow, I pronounce alomst all of those differently.

gith-YANG-kee
OH-teh-YUG
SEH-ha-neen
FAL-she-yun (SAME)
ree-AY-gent
TREE-ent
ee-LAA-drin
drow (rhymes with plow) (SAME)
boo-LET

Those are my pronunciations exactly! Well, I'd write TREE-ant, but then an unstressed a is (almost?) identical to an unstressed e... Reagent isn't such an odd word is it? I'm fairly sure your pronunciation is the only correct one, as opposed to the one in the podcast.

Siberys

Adventurer
Here's how I've always pronounced these:

gihth-YONG-kee
OH-tyoog
SAY-ha-neen
fal-KWAN
ree-AY-jent
TREE-ent
ehl-AH-drin
drow (rhymes with plow; if it were "dro" it wouldn't have a w, imo...)
BOO-lay

Also, TAI-fling, lihtch, sah-WAY-gin, and SEER-ee. :p

Here's how I've always pronounced these:

BOO-lay
Yeah, that's the way they pronounced it in the Q&A too, and that's just wrong! :p The -ette word ending is from French, and is pronounced 'EHT', as in rhymes with 'wet'.

In French, you would pronounce it B-EU-LET (I don't think the EU sound really has an equivalent in English). I actually pronounce bulette as BEE-YOU-LET.

If you look at other English words with a similar construction (i.e. consonant - U - consonant - vowel) (e.g. puke, nuke, pule, mule). You can see how the U in bulette should be pronounced. Other words with a similar construction have a slightly different pronunciation (Luke, juke), so I can understand a pronunciation of BOO-LET.

But BOO-LAY? That's some serious mangling of the French language. That's almost as bad as people who pronounce coup de grace as COOP DEE GRAH instead of COO DEH GRAH-SS. :lol:

I might as well put in my pronunciations, so people can make fun of me too:

gith-YANK-ee
OH-t-yug
SEH-ha-neen
FAL-shun (this is a real word, with two acceptable pronunciations: FAL-shun or FAL-chun falchion definition | Dictionary.com)
ree-AY-gent (this is a real word, and this is its only correct pronunciation reagent definition | Dictionary.com)
TREH-nt (rhymes with meant, leant)
eh-LAH-drin
drow (rhymes with cow, plow, now)
BEE-yoo-leht

TEEF-ling

Last edited:

Remove ads