How should I pronounce Tiefling?

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
@ 21:05 Rabbi asks: “How do you pronounce the following words: githyanki, otyugh, Sehanine, falchion, reagent, treant, eladrin?” (Bonus words: drow, bulette)

githyanki - gith-YANK-ee
otyugh - oh-tee-ugh
Sehanine - SAY-hah-neen
falchion - FAL-chee-un. I like the elegance of the "ee" sound in the middle, even though I know the pronunciation isn't exactly correct.
reagent - like "agent," but with a "re-" prefix.
treant - TREE-ant or TREE-ANT. Like "giant" (from which the word derives) but with TREE (with one "e" dropped when written) in in place of the "gi."
eladrin - ee-LAH-drin, but I'm beginning to like ELL-uh-drin more. The word is pretty durn close to Tolkien's name for his high elves, the Eldarin, so I'd guess the pronunciations of the two words would be similar. I just haven't checked the pronunciation of Tolkien's word.
drow - droh. That is, it rhymes with slow or foe.
bulette - BOO-lett or BYOO-lett. Occasionally bullet.

Engilbrand

First Post
I've always said Tiefling Tief (tie-f) ling ;when two vowels follow each other, you pronounce the first one...

The crazy thing about that is that the rule in English is the exact opposite. Usually. The fun thing about English is that we have a lot of instances that break the rules.

In German, an "ie" is an "ee" sound in English. Words are broken up in a certain way. It's more Teef-ling than Tee-fling. Not that there's much difference, but there ya go.

Serphet

First Post
Bulette

bulett (e at the end makes first vowel proocuned

"b-you'll" ett

or

"b-you-lett"

focusing on merging the b and you, bu. Bulette almost sounds like beulet.

I'm not an eglish major or anything.. just breaking the word apart.

chitzk0i

Explorer
Once I was in a game where the DM mentioned a bullet. My brother and I both (separately) blinked and, in unison, said "Ohhh, a byulette!"

Infiniti2000

First Post
drow (rhymes with plow; if it were "dro" it wouldn't have a w, imo...)
Of course, then, you pronounce slow, row, tow, etc. all the same? Because they all have W's, too. My opinion is that pronouncing them like cow is simply degrading. If I were a bad-ass dark elf, I wouldn't want to rhyme with cow, or sow. :mad:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases