D&D 5E How small could Faerûn be?

Oxylepy

First Post
How small could Faerûn be?

I know roughly how large it is, however from the maps it looks way too big, 400 mile wide forests that look comparibly dinky. So how small could it be made and still be realistic? While I don't think it can handle being the size of the UK, maybe all of Europe?

Find the least common race on the continent (probably some sort of elf), and shrink down their native habitat to the point where it can barely sustain an independent genetic population, and then scale everything relative to that. If that 400 mile wide forest is the only place where electrum elves exist, then you can't shrink the world at all without it becoming unsustainable.

pukunui

Legend
I can't tell you how small it *could* be, but I can give you a sense of how big it actually is ...

CScUHNFUkAAzNYZ.jpg

IIRC Toril is meant to be slightly larger than Earth.

pukunui

Legend
Heck, that's not even Faerûn, that's just the Sword Coast: Faerûn is much, much larger.
I know. That's just like the northwestern quadrant of it. Mike Schley made that image, using his 5e map from the SCAG. (I have a feeling he's done the whole of Faerûn but isn't allowed to show us the rest of it yet.)

Oxylepy

First Post
I aim to shrink it down and use it as a part of my own world. As it stands it is pretty huge and could definitely be trimmed up so I'm looking for a size where I shouldn't shrink it to smaller than that size. Then just find a happy medium in between

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I aim to shrink it down and use it as a part of my own world. As it stands it is pretty huge and could definitely be trimmed up so I'm looking for a size where I shouldn't shrink it to smaller than that size. Then just find a happy medium in between
You could check out the 3E maps: it shrunk the scale of the continent before 5E reexpanded it.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter

3 thousand miles across. That give you plenty of room on your world for other continents.

Coroc

Hero
I believe even the coastline has been modelled with the one of the coast lines of the USA, but I cannot say if it was to scale.

Remove ads