• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How soon do you want more classes?

Are you excited to wait until PHB2 for more classes?

• Yes, I want each class playtested extensively

Votes: 43 26.5%
  • Yes, Swordmage will hold me until PHB2

Votes: 16 9.9%
  • Yes, PHB1 has more than enough classes for me

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • No, I'd like extra classes sooner

Votes: 35 21.6%
  • No, I demand (politely) more classes ASAP

Votes: 23 14.2%
  • No, and I'll get 3rd party classes because Wizards is too slow

Votes: 21 13.0%
  • Other - explained below

Votes: 15 9.3%

Mokona

First Post
Wizards of the Coast has all but said that we won't get any more classes except the swordmage (probably arcane defender) until Player's Handbook II.

Are you willing to wait that long?

We wouldn't have a martial controller (hopefully monk), arcane leader (hopefully bard), divine controller, or divine striker until PHB2 or later.

Editor's note: Dungeons & Dragons Digital Initiative classes don't count because they're not final, subscribers are considered playtesters, and the class could change when printed later.

Last edited:

beeflv30

First Post
I can wait till the Phb 2 drops. The 8 classes are enough for me and my group to play with, till the 8 new classes arrive.
Looking forward to seeing the sorcerer and barbarian. Still can't see the Bard being something I will want to try in this edition though. Whenever it comes to mind I just can't see it working for me.

MortalPlague

Adventurer
I'm pretty happy with the existing classes so far. It will be nice to get new ones, but I think getting Swordmage will tide me over till PHB2 comes out.

AlexS

First Post
I'm rather unconvinced we'll see a martial controller- it just seems a bit naff. I think the ranger is as close as we're going to get on that front. They've said that symmetry is not a concern in this edition, so there's no compunction to fill every role for every power source. Besides, haven't they practically confirmed that the Monk is a striker?

Now, if I think it's worth the while for my group (we're not likely to be playing that often) I'd consider getting a 3rd-party book such as the one Necromancer Games is talking about. I doubt I'd buy it just for one player who wants to be a druid, however- I'd have to get more use from it to justify it.

What I'm more interested in is whether the Swordmage will be reprinted in the PHB2, or if you'll have to buy the FRPG in order to have a decent gish.

RabidBob

First Post
Much as though I'm liking what I see of 4E so far I'm less than impressed with tieflings, dragonborn and the lack of monks, druids, bards and gnomes. As long as their balanced I'd like to see them out asap.

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
As long as we have Fighting Man, Cleric, Thief, and Magic-User, I'm fine; everything else is just extra juiciness.

And as someone else posted, I am glad they are not obsessing about filling out the power source/role grid. Especially as every idea I have seen for a martial controller has been contrived, I mean, I'm not saying it's impossible, but this engineer/alchemist/dragoon etc business is doing my head in.

I always want more...

But it should be good, so I go with the first option. I am still looking forward to the Advanced Player Guide Necromancer Games is promising. ;)

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
RabidBob said:
the lack of monks, druids, bards and gnomes. As long as their balanced I'd like to see them out asap.

Those classes are definitely coming out, and so far, anyone correct me if I'm wrong, it looks like they are shaping up to be:

-Barbarian = Primal Defender

-Bard = Arcane Leader

-Druid = Striker (hybrid)

-Monk = Ki Striker

-Shaman = Primal Leader

-Sorcerer = Arcane Controller

Last edited:

Farmer42

First Post
The swordmage is everything I want in a class but can't get from the PHB. When the PHBII comes out, I'll grab it and have more options, and I'll be happy, but gishes are my favorite type of character.

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
Farmer42 said:
The swordmage is everything I want in a class but can't get from the PHB. When the PHBII comes out, I'll grab it and have more options, and I'll be happy, but gishes are my favorite type of character.

I believe the swordmage will be released this year in the FR Player's Guide.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads