• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How soon is too soon to fight a Dragon?

Tony Vargas

Legend
So there's a potential to backtrack the chaos dragon and find a dangerous relic... ;>

Can you tell a chaos dragon's original type? Can they pass as their original type but for their behavior and random breath?

(Just throwing out questions to spark ideas.)

Lanliss

Explorer
So there's a potential to backtrack the chaos dragon and find a dangerous relic... ;>

Can you tell a chaos dragon's original type? Can they pass as their original type but for their behavior and random breath?

(Just throwing out questions to spark ideas.)

No, they cannot pass for their original type. The chaos changes them physically, to an extent. Mostly color, as their scales change color to random colors when they become Chaos dragon's. Also, their eyes are constantly shifting color as well, like a kaleidoscope or lavalamp. No telling how long this Dragon has been a chaos Dragon, so it may have only changed a mile back, or it could ha e been like this for the past 50 years.

I pictured a pretty cool encounter a while back, where two dragons are fighting. The PC's can get a Dragon friend by assisting either side. How soon do you all think a party of three could take on a Dragon, assuming they have a Dragon helping them fight it?

I probably wouldn't want to fight a dragon before early afternoon at the earliest. It gets you all sweaty and you need to go home and shower, and doing that in the middle of the day cuts into your spell research time.

In our group, I guess earliest will be on level 1. :D

Well our Level 1 Fighter challenged and fought the dragon at the START of the campaign of Hoard of the Dragon queen. He is new to D&D/pen and paper RPG and perhaps thought it will be just like in video games...

*After a brief introduction...

DM (me): Suddenly you see a blue dragon flying above the town of...
Him: "I'll call and challenge the dragon!".
Us in the table: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Him: "What..?"

We were all surprised at what he did that I declared the dragon to be also surprised. He got a surprise round with his fight with the dragon, it just didn't end well for him after that. Then I went ahead with the story. :D

Last edited:

hejtmane

Explorer
Remember that breath weapons have a large AoE. If the dragon has any intelligence at all (and it does), it's going to try to use its breath weapon on the enemy dragon and the party simultaneously.

Adult black or white dragon breath weapon averages 54 damage, green averages 56, red averages 63, blue averages 66. White, red, and green are cones, making it especially easy for them to catch multiple characters. 60-ish damage stands a good chance of killing characters outright before they hit 5th or so (and is still going to drop all but the toughest characters in the 5-9 range).

On the other hand, the way you're describing the encounter, it's totally opt-in. That's the sort of thing you can justifiably do to PCs even at level one. If they charge into a battle with an adult dragon, that's on them.

EDIT: I threw a young green dragon at my players at 4th level. To take the overwhelming burst damage off the breath weapon, I changed it to create a cloud of poison that did half the listed damage initially, but also made its area a no-go zone for a minute (dealing its damage again if you ended your turn there). I thought this kept the challenge high enough that I wasn't nerfing the monster for my players' benefit, and also made the encounter a bit more thematic and tactically interesting. I'll probably put twists on the other dragons' breath weapons as well, when they come up.

Yep I had a group of level 10 players and they fought a large Adult white Dragon it was touch and go they even won initiative and they all got hit with a Breath Weapon the only person that did not blink was the Barbarian he made a succesful save half damage + half damage Bear totem + goilath stone endurance he literaly took zero damages. Then the failed con saving throws I think the Barbarian was the only one that saved and the other fighters with con as a procient saving throw failed just bad roles one was an EK so he was able to use reaction for Absorn elements to weaken the hit. They all ended up living but it was close because of the breath weapon the caster where all sweating because most where down to super low health.

WarpedAcorn

First Post
The earliest I've introduced a Dragon encounter in my game is level 3. I had a group who were mostly new to the game and after doing some general adventures I introduced them to their first dungeon. Since this was their first dungeon I had to include some Dragons, so I had 2 Black Wyrmlings at the end that they fought. Their breath weapon was a line so that wasn't super deadly, and although it was a tough fight, outside of the flying and the breath weapon, the Wyrmlings didn't pose too much of a threat where I felt I had to pull punches.

...however the Shambling Mound I had that arose from the Black Dragon blood did cause the players to wisely retreat to live and fight another day.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I personally don't use dragons as something to fight until 9-10th level at the earliest. Fighting dragons to me should be a rare, scary thing, not something that you do multiple times in an adventuring career, and it shouldn't be against baby dragons.

Lanliss

Explorer
I personally don't use dragons as something to fight until 9-10th level at the earliest. Fighting dragons to me should be a rare, scary thing, not something that you do multiple times in an adventuring career, and it shouldn't be against baby dragons.

The world is fairly young, so there is not as much known about dragons as there is in FR. In some small corners they are still believed to be simple stories told to children, to keep them from straying too far into the woods. In the rest of the world however, they are fairly numerous, and there are actually two separate Dragon cities. If my players want to go hunt every evil Dragon, they are welcome to try.

I do not plan on having them slaughter any wyrmlings, so no worries on that front. If I confronted them with one, they would probably try to befriend it anyway.

WarpedAcorn

First Post

My players were definitely scared of the Wyrmlings. In fact the Barbarian of the group ran away by crawling through a hole in the wall he was so scared. If anything, for new players at least, having a taste of a baby dragon has only made them give more respect to dragons in general.

But I do get what you're saying. My main reason for including the Wyrmlings at all was so that the players would have literally experienced "Dungeons" and "Dragons".

Remove ads