• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How stereotypical is Weapon Specialization at 4th?

Marimmar

First Post
When playing around with online char-generators the other day, I was a bit annoyed that almost none of the randomly generated 4th level fighters had weapon specialization. It's almost a must have IMHO for an effective fighter build but still it's almost never there.

Did any of you ever deliberately not select Weapon Specialization at 4th level and instead chose something like Great Cleave or Spring Attack which IIRC are the direct alternatives for fighters?

~Marimmar

Darklone

I've seen a fighter take Whirlwind instead, another one was too busy to get the full trip & disarm goodness for his Spiked Chain, he didn't care for the damage yet.

S'mon

Legend
Marimmar said:
When playing around with online char-generators the other day, I was a bit annoyed that almost none of the randomly generated 4th level fighters had weapon specialization. It's almost a must have IMHO for an effective fighter build but still it's almost never there.

Did any of you ever deliberately not select Weapon Specialization at 4th level and instead chose something like Great Cleave or Spring Attack which IIRC are the direct alternatives for fighters?

~Marimmar

Great Cleave at 4th can be tempting if you regularly face hordes of orcs (etc). Playing NWN I'd tend to take 2 levels of Barbarian and then go to Fighter - at 6th level I'd have settled on what weapon I'd be using and with 2 feats could take focus & spec at the same time. Which was nice.
I can't imagine a PC Fighter over 6th level not taking Weapon Spec, if he had any concern for combat effectiveness.

Mercule

Adventurer
We really don't have a lot of straight fighters in our group, but the 3-4 that have popped up I believe all had Specialization.

buzzard

First Post
Darklone said:
I've seen a fighter take Whirlwind instead, another one was too busy to get the full trip & disarm goodness for his Spiked Chain, he didn't care for the damage yet.

This isn't possible. Both whirlwind and spring attack require a BAB of 4, and spring attack is a prerequisite.

Though back to the initial question- I never pass it up. It is one of the few fighter exclusive abilities, and it really is pretty powerfull.

buzzard

Chroma

Explorer
Marimmar said:

In my current campaign there are four fighters over 4th level and none of them took weapon specilization at 4th level; the one pure fighter took it at 6th and the others haven't expressed any interest in it.

That +2 points of damage just doesn't seem impressive to my players, I suppose. Some have even wondered what makes it so special that it's a fighter exclusive Feat. Now that there's Greater Weapon Specialization it may become more popular.

Any other thoughts?

Marimmar

First Post
The only fighter type I could imagine passing it for a level or two would be some greatsword wielding strength 18 fighter for whom the additional damage output would be less important. Even a spiked chain 'tripper' would be able to take it after putting all relevant feats into the trip chain (unless the character is not human).

~Marimmar

Brekki

First Post
I've only taken it at 4th fighter level with multiclass characters ... single class almost always took other feats like spring attack, great cleave, power lunge or some archery feat.

Amrynn Moonshadow

First Post
most fighters (PC's / NPC's) in my world do kinda go for that at either 4th or 6th. most melee guys (and gals) go for it around 4th (especially if they are humans); archers / ranged types / flavour fighters may pick it up around 6th if something more important to their style pops up first.

the greater weap focus and greater weapon speciality are great feats which now make it more important to stay a frighter instead of just take 4 levels, then go for either barb, paladin, ranger or rogue . . .

it IS fighter specific, so it HAS to be good enough of a selling point that fighters would take it.

you can't laugh at +2 dmg that'll work anywhere (underwater, with any of that type of weapon, in dead-magic zones, at the beach, anywhere good times are had . . .)

a feat is alot cheaper than a +2 enhancement on any and all longswords (or what have you) that you'll ever touch in your lifetime.

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
It's a vital feat for Fighters, simply because it puts them 2pts per hit ahead of everyone else. And considering they hit the most often, that 2pts per hit adds up very quickly, even in one fight.

Add in Improved Wpn Spec and your fighter is doing a LOT more damage that most other characters in each and every round.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads