D&D 5E How the game changes when a DM starts to target downed PC's?

BookTenTiger

He / Him
As a DM I rarely have my enemies target downed PCs, but that's also because my players and I came up with a "danger level" for the campaign which precludes that kind of deadliness.

On the other hand, as a player I vastly prefer it when enemies target downed characters! I really like the levels of strategy and urgency it creates.

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
Targeting downed characters depends largely on the type of monster involved. Ghouls will go to finish off a waiting meal, while bandits will just try to knock everyone unconscious so they can loot them and get away (if one or two are killed instead, so be it). A large beast may grab a body and try to run off with it to eat it at a safe remove (leading to a chase timed by death saves!), while other foes may tactically realize to focus on the enemies still fighting.

The key for a DM is any of these cases in any situation is to signal a potential attack on a downed ally. Give the other players a reasonable chance to notice the enemies’ intent and either get there first or use a reaction against it. They may not always succeed, but it takes the moment away from being a narrative-forced one to a challenge to be faced. Heck, give the responding characters Advantage, with the downed character effectively providing aid via morale! It makes the story more exciting…

Sithlord

Adventurer
If the DM wants to win, they win. The DM's job is to lose, repeatedly, with enough grace and style that players either don't notice, or don't care if they do notice.:cool:
Yup. In the span of your characters life he will have many fights to death. He will win a ridiculous number of these fights and lose only one.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I don't disagree with the sentiment, but who are you accusing here of being a DM that wants to win?

I like the DM to root for the players but have many scenarios in which players can overextend themselves and “lose” with bad decisions.

Choice is more important than life or death to me. Combat is a risky proposition, or at least should be.

with stabbing downed players, a player will want to be clever, careful or lucky. That’s the way I like it. If my character draws their sword they are signaling their readiness to kill or be killed!

I am curious if this hypothetical DM is suddenly making this change mid-campaign or announcing in a Session 0 that, unlike all his previous campaigns where this did not happen, that it is now a possibility? I would call foul if this were a mid-campaign change by a DM, but would adjust and deal with it if known before hand it can happen. And if it is a DM that seems to be going out of the way to target downed PCs, I would think hard about ever playing in one of their games again, whether it happened to my PC or not.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I am curious if this hypothetical DM is suddenly making this change mid-campaign or announcing in a Session 0 that, unlike all his previous campaigns where this did not happen, that it is now a possibility? I would call foul if this were a mid-campaign change by a DM, but would adjust and deal with it if known before hand it can happen. And if it is a DM that seems to be going out of the way to target downed PCs, I would think hard about ever playing in one of their games again, whether it happened to my PC or not.
I would as well. Unless they talked with me about it.

when I DM again and not just play I am going to discuss this with the group and make the change.

I like the danger as a player too for what it’s worth!

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Obviously this is a session 0 kind of thing. Though, there are some pretty bad DM's out there so maybe it isn't as obvious as I think it is.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Obviously this is a session 0 kind of thing. Though, there are some pretty bad DM's out there so maybe it isn't as obvious as I think it is.
For my group this was actually a Session 10 kind of thing. Since a lot of my players were first-timers, I just by default played the monsters a little easy. After ten or so sessions, we then had a talk about how dangerous we wanted the campaign to be!

Remove ads