• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to abuse Ring of Spell Storing?

svwilson

First Post
A GM I had once told someone that he had no hesitation in letting my superhero character choose time-travel powers, because he knew I would never "abuse" it -- the way, for instance, he himself would since he was so familiar with game rules. Maybe I'm just an ingrate, but I felt insulted; he seemed to think that I wasn't smart or clever enough to find all the possible advantages to the ability.

Personally, I don't believe in "abuse". If the game rule allows you more power than the writers intended, it is their fault for writing it that way, and perhaps the GM's fault for not making a house rule to balance it better. The player has no responsibility to maintain play balance.

Okay, I'm not a complete munchkin. If the GM tells me, reasonably and politely, that what I'm doing will damage the game, then I'll consider that a house rule and back off.

That said, I'm tired of being good. What are the most impressive and awful spells I can put into a 5-level Ring of Spell Storing?

The character is a Ranger-7, Cleric-1, Fist of Raziel-6. She's a front-line fighter with the ranger's Archery style, a Mighty Bow, and highly enhanced STR. Her upcoming adventure will involve fighting dragons, which is good because that's her favored enemy, and she has one of those arrows that becomes a Bane weapon (vs Dragons in this case) and that returns to her to be used again. The Fist of Raziel powers mainly involve Holy Smite and making her (melee) weapons Good-aligned.

I'm tempted to put five True Strikes in the ring, but when you consider that I have to spend one round casting and the next round attacking, that may not be efficient. I could put in a single Quickened True Strike, but I'd hate to spend every round thinking "Is THIS the best time to use it?"

I really like the idea of "Personal" spells that someone of my level and class couldn't normally cast. And since I have that Bane arrow, I expect to have the dragon's full attention after the first round.

What else could go into the ring?

Shawn

Pyrex

First Post
Dimension Door, Fire Shield, Freedom of Movement, Righteous Might, Shadow Conjuration, Spell Immunity and Spell Resistance are all good.

Oh, and Magic Jar. :]

Infiniti2000

First Post
svwilson said:
Personally, I don't believe in "abuse". If the game rule allows you more power than the writers intended, it is their fault for writing it that way, and perhaps the GM's fault for not making a house rule to balance it better. The player has no responsibility to maintain play balance.
So, it's the GM vs. the players? And, if the game sucks, it's always the GM's fault? I personally don't agree with that attitude.

Note that quickened spells still take a standard action.

Patlin

Explorer
Look at Arrow Mind in the Complete Adventurer. :)

We've talked about a house rule that self only spells can't be placed in a ring of spell storing. I think that would curb most of the abuses. In 3.0 you could do nasty things with Tenser's Transformation when cast by a fighter, but I think they fixed that in 3.5 anyway.

svwilson

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
So, it's the GM vs. the players? And, if the game sucks, it's always the GM's fault? I personally don't agree with that attitude.

No, no, no. I'm saying play balance is the GM's responsibility. It's his decision whether I'm being clever or abusive. I'll try to do the best I can -- my character wants to win at any cost his alignment will allow -- and if the GM decides it won't ruin his game, cool. Maybe he has some surprise in store that may trash us without the edge I discovered. On the other hand, if he thinks I'm going too far, well, he's the boss.

Infiniti2000 said:
Note that quickened spells still take a standard action.

Bummer

-- Shawn

svwilson

First Post
Can someone tell me briefly what these spells do, or at least where to find the descriptions?

Wraithstrike
Arrow Mind [I know, it's in CA]
Hunter's Mercy

-- Shawn

svwilson

First Post
Pyrex said:
Dimension Door, Fire Shield, Freedom of Movement, Righteous Might, Shadow Conjuration, Spell Immunity and Spell Resistance are all good.

Oh, and Magic Jar. :]

D-Door and the defensive powers have obvious utility, thanks. What's the special advantage of Shadow Conjuration a front-line fighter? And even more so, to Magic Jar: what good is a meatshield who leaves his STR, weapons, and magic items behind?

--- Shawn

Jack Simth

First Post
Abuseive? Oh... nothing a Bard/Rogue couldn't do better with a UMD roll and a scroll or wand.

Nifty? Well, that Clerical Slay Living is handy on a front-line fighter... as is a Cure Critical wounds... or perhaps an Empowered Cure Serious wounds.... Dimension Door is handy (command-word items don't provoke; glass cannon threatened? Bodyguard right next door...) and Resilient Sphere is useful for saying "Don't hit me" when in trouble.

Remove ads