• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to avoid detection vs Alarm

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
sfedi said:
The problem is that we are assaulting a complex which has severla Alarms, with Permanency :)

Maybe dispell them... mmm....

The blind kobold attack works just as well with permanent alarms. Especially if you summon and dismiss the critter as soon as it sets of the Alarm - a celestial monkey is best, probably. The guardians *will* become desentized to the alarms eventually, especially since there won't be anything there.

The best tactic to be where the alarms aren't, of course. The celestial monkey can also help you figure out where those are too. Passwall, dig are good here.

But what resources do you have?

sfedi

First Post
Bard 16
Monk Cohort with an Antimagic Field (or something like that)permanently around him.
(that's how we could bypass most of them, but me, the Rogue5/Assasin10 can't go beyond scouting, because I need him hear to not trigger the trap. And no, I don't have Disable Device)
Fighter 16
Wizard 11 (my cohort)
Some cash, few contacts :)

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
If you know the alarms exist, the next step is find out where specifically they are. Then, use them to annoy the heck out of the defenders. Against patient, aggressive attackers, the defenders ultimately are at the disadvantage. Even in D&D, a purely defensive battle is a losing battle. Make them come to you. :)

The idea about finding the point of emanation is good (although not necessarily that easy). A monster could be summoned within the area of the alarm without setting the a alarm.

Dispel magic is a good one as well, but if it doesn't take out the permanency, the alarm will kick back in after a little while. Gaseous form might also be useful. Detect magic and Spellcraft could prove useful for locating an alarm.

Various spells/effects that attack or otherwise impugn the structural integrity of the area might also come in handy: passwall, transmute rock to mud, sympathetic vibration, et cetera.

Also, if the alarms are audible, a mere silence is an emanation with an identical radius.

Nareau

Explorer
The point on it being an emination is a great one! 3 rounds of Detect Magic and a nice thick blanket should do the trick (assuming the alarms are on the ground...but you get the point).

Spider

Belbarid

First Post
sfedi said:
The problem is that we are assaulting a complex which has severla Alarms, with Permanency :)

Maybe dispell them... mmm....

Let me offer an out of the box suggestion.

Don't try to avoid it. Set it off. Often. Everywhere. Generate so frickin' many false positives that eventually either the mages take the darn thing down to avoid the headache (works best if you do this at 2:00 AM) or the guards start ignoring the "This is not a drill" alerts.

Spread it out over a couple days- be careful not to get caught, though. By the time you guys set of the Alarm, no one will care.

Belbarid

First Post
GuardianLurker said:
The blind kobold attack works just as well with permanent alarms. Especially if you summon and dismiss the critter as soon as it sets of the Alarm - a celestial monkey is best, probably. The guardians *will* become desentized to the alarms eventually, especially since there won't be anything there.

<SIGH> Should have read further before posting. Ah,well...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads