D&D 5E How to balance combat when 2 characters are average and one is extremely overpowered?

G

Guest 6801328

I'm looking forward to seeing this character sheet.

EDIT: Also, post the Paladin and Cleric sheets. Maybe they are unfairly gimped.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
I suspect that he is using Expertise on his attack and saying that he +1 bonus for the magic crossbow adds to that.

Dex 20 (legit) +(3 proficiency +1 crossbow) doubled with Expertise -not legit = +13 to hit. Actual to hit is +9.
The stealth feat is irrelevent and may be shorthand for the Halfling subtype ability.

With a liberal interpretation of the Xbow mastery he might attack 2/round with hand crossbows and apply sneak attack once.

Ok thanks everybody! I figured out he was using cunning action to attack again, and he was using expertise for his armor and crossbow. He thought crossbow expert meant attaching expertise to his crossbow proficiency. So he isn't nearly as overpowered as either of us thought. He now only attacks twice, sneak attacks once per turn, and only has around +6 to hit. Does that sound a bit better for a 6th level rogue? I appreciate the quick replies!

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
That looks correct except if he has 2 feats (skulker and crossbow expert). The halfling ability to hide behind allies is 'Naturally Stealthy'.

Valetudo

Adventurer
Ok thanks everybody! I figured out he was using cunning action to attack again, and he was using expertise for his armor and crossbow. He thought crossbow expert meant attaching expertise to his crossbow proficiency. So he isn't nearly as overpowered as either of us thought. He now only attacks twice, sneak attacks once per turn, and only has around +6 to hit. Does that sound a bit better for a 6th level rogue? I appreciate the quick replies!
he can only attack twice for the first round, because he needs a empty hand to reload.

Here is his Character sheet. Let me know if there is anything you can't read and I'll try and translate it for you. Character sheet.jpg

CapnZapp

Legend
Plase do not accuse someone of cheating when you (non-specific you) don't know all the facts. It's as likely the Rogue player has made an honest mistake, as he or she is wilfully cheating, if not more.

That expertise-doubling of your proficiency bonus to attacks sounds like a likely candidate for inspection, especially since it so neatly arrives at the listed +13 to hit bonus.

---

There are a lot of uninformed "advice" here. The crossbow expert feat has one and one valid use case only: fighting with a single hand crossbow.

Any other configuration simply does not provide an extra attack sustainably (over several rounds) per RAW because of hand use/load ammunition issues.

The feat looks and reads as if it would allow the cool rapier plus handcrosbow style - but it does not. The feat looks and reads as if it would allow the cool twin handcrossbows style - but it does not.

What it does do is turn the hand crossbow into the game's best weapon.

Remove ads