• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

how to convince people that D&D is not evil

Merkuri

Explorer
freebfrost said:
Ah, ok. That makes a bit more sense. So, more like modern-day Wiccans or the like.

That was my guess. People nowadays who genuinely believe they can cast spells are usually followers of the Wicca religion. I knew a couple in high school (no clue if they're still Wiccan now, I don't keep up with them).

Corvidae

First Post
Henry,
according to the link from the escapist, my religion is withcraft and must be stopped.

Wow, I wish I had known I was casting magic spells whenever I prayed.

John

diaglo

Adventurer
freebfrost said:
Ah, ok. That makes a bit more sense. So, more like modern-day Wiccans or the like.

That's a shame - I'd love to see a Fireball spell. :)

spot on. but i didn't want to cross into the religious debate. i was just curious about how the original poster was defining "evil."

my friends were different from me. but in no way do/did i consider them evil.

Amazing Triangle

First Post
I originally had trouble talking to my parents as to what I did when I played D&D. After a year of thought I decided to equate D&D to one large story telling hour. I mean if you break down a good D&D game you see that it is just a story-teller who has interactive players who join in and help tell his story. My parents did not think that D&D was evil though. Maybe explaining that D&D is not just used by closet evil-doers, but also by 1st-12th graders in after school settings to increase both comprehension and math compentence. To top this all off if you can explain that D&D is more storytelling then most of the other aspects, built around a complext rules system to make it so everyone can play the game the same way.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Merkuri said:
People nowadays who genuinely believe they can cast spells are usually followers of the Wicca religion.

Folks, I'm trying to offer some latitude here given the subject matter, but one more generalization about anybody's religion and this thread is going KLUNK.

Merkuri

Explorer
Rel said:
Folks, I'm trying to offer some latitude here given the subject matter, but one more generalization about anybody's religion and this thread is going KLUNK.

Oh, sorry. *embarrassed look* I didn't realize my comment could be taken as offensive. I certainly didn't mean it that way. I'll shut up.

Turanil

First Post
Yes, DnD is evil. At least, for those who play DnD instead of doing their homework (when they should do it). I guess it applies/applied to many of us on this board... ;)

Corvidae

First Post
Thanks for the latitude Rel,
I will try and keep it more tolerable
Come on guys, this is a good thread, it has humor, advice (mostly on where to find jolt) and may be helpful to someone out there.

Let's not get it nuked.

no generalizations
period

John

Ulrick

First Post
Here's what I tell people who think D&D is evil:

I've played D&D for 17 years and what I want to know is: How did I miss out on this evil stuff??? I have huge collection of D&D books and not a single so-called spell works, nor has any demon been summoned, nor has any god answered my charcter's prayers. You'd think that in all that time, I should have encountered SOMETHING.

It usually works in that they just go away.

Barak

First Post
Ask if Christopher Lee and Ian McKellen are evil for having portrayed Saruman and Gandalf in the LOTR movies. If they say no, explain that what you do when you play D&D is even farther removed from really casting spells than what they did. If they say yes, you are out of luck.

If their hang-ups are more on the "worshipping false gods", especially by playing clerics and paladins and some other characters, then it's a bit more difficult to explain. The short of it is that it's not the players who worship and pray to said Gods, but the characters they portray, just like an actor portraying a murderer never really killed anyone, except for OJ.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads