How to detain an Eladrin Rogue? ie, teleporting

Revinor

First Post
Miar said:
Sure they can go through the windows but it's a long way down.

So you are going to bet safety of the kingdom on lack of feather fall ability by this strange, magic-wielding, teleporting fey creature ?

Ophidimancer

Explorer
You know, this thread has got me thinking about Eladrin specific constructs. Buildings with no stairs or other means to reach the second floor. Rooms with transparent walls and no entrances. Tiny corridors too small for the known humanoid races, but which allow line of sight.

Branduil

Hero
Oubliettes, narrow hallways, and iron masks seem like the most likely detaining methods, as they would be useful for more purposes than just detaining Eladrin.

WalterKovacs

First Post
So, we are concerned with the teleporting, but not the spellcasting? Remember ... you do NOT need an implement to cast anything ... you just lose out on the enhancement bonus [or the implement mastery effects]

So they'd have to deal with a lot more than just eladrins. Spellcasters would all be annoying, as even without a spellbook, or their implements ... spellcasters have a lot of their powers available.

Dausuul

Legend
Fifth Element said:
I'd say a windowless room is an easy solution.

Exactly. It's more work to put in a barred window than it would be to just build a windowless wall. Most dungeon cells would be windowless anyway.

Branduil

Hero
WalterKovacs said:
So, we are concerned with the teleporting, but not the spellcasting? Remember ... you do NOT need an implement to cast anything ... you just lose out on the enhancement bonus [or the implement mastery effects]

So they'd have to deal with a lot more than just eladrins. Spellcasters would all be annoying, as even without a spellbook, or their implements ... spellcasters have a lot of their powers available.
You'd probably just kill hostile spellcasters right then and there.

AllisterH

First Post
Dausuul said:
Exactly. It's more work to put in a barred window than it would be to just build a windowless wall. Most dungeon cells would be windowless anyway.

This may sound silly but I was always under the impression that in the medieval era, the usual form of jailing WAS the oubliette, the pit and the windowless room?

I thought it wasn't until the Enlightnment that we actually get jail cells with actual windows/bars (I could've sworn I've seen this on the Discovery network)

Goobermunch

Explorer
frankthedm said:
Lop off their hand. In a world of magic and sorcery justice will be swift. Jail is for important folks, strangers should punished on the spot. Beating, amputation and executions can be done very fast.

This was a difficulty I always had with D&D's legal system. If I can cast zone of truth and speak with dead, how can any murder go unpunished?

--G

Goobermunch said:
This was a difficulty I always had with D&D's legal system. If I can cast zone of truth and speak with dead, how can any murder go unpunished?

--G

Evading Zone of Truth (at least in 3.x rules) is very easy. Also, it takes resources to cast. (You have to hire a priest, for instance.)

As for the latter, aren't there ways of destroying a body so they can't tell you anything? Or using a disguise so the soon-to-be-corpse won't know who the murderer is?

Remove ads