• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How To Do Wildshape

The D&DN Druid's Wild Shape Ability Should Be:

• A spell, or a family of spells.

Votes: 25 35.2%
  • A class feature, that is usable X times per day.

Votes: 20 28.2%
  • An encounter power.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • An at-will power.

Votes: 13 18.3%
  • Something else entirely (explain).

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • Removed forever.

Votes: 4 5.6%

Dice4Hire

First Post
I think I would like a combination of poll options. I would like the default to be no shapeshifting, but when a spell is used the druid can shift at will for the duration of the spell, which should be hours.

Each spell gives some small ability score changes, maybe some skill mods and special attacks or movement, varying by level.

If the caster casts two shapeshifting spells at once, or in the same duration, they can shift from human form to either of the two other shapes at will. So the druid who cast shapeshifting into a bird and tiger could fly into a fort, assume tiger form to fight and then use bird form to run away, if needed.

That would be enough versatility for me.

But for heaven's sake, do not allow the druid free reign in the monster manual to break the game.

I don't see wildshape as the central point of the druid class, any more than turn undead was to the cleric class. It's iconic, but not central.

As such, making it a family of spells makes perfect sense to me.

whearp, rather than a Wildshape specialty, I'd rather see an animal-companion specialty. It maps well onto what Magic-User and Necromancer do; and I see animal companions as quite dispensable for druids. Not to mention that it's an iconic trait for rangers!

Ainamacar

Adventurer
What about a hybrid spells approach that melds at-will wildshaping with more powerful abilities and simultaneously lets the druid focus on wildshaping or standard spellcasting as desired? I'm a bit inspired by 3.5's reserve feats while adopting a more 4e-like approach to how function and flavor meet, which I think much better serves the creative possibilities of wild shape.

Perhaps a druid reserves spell slots to power various at-will abilities, and the shape actually adopted can be a combination of those reserved spells. For example, suppose a 5th level druid reserves two 1st-level spell slots for a terrestrial and an aquatic (w/o waterbreathing) base form with fairly benign stats or stat bonuses. He might also reserve a single 2nd level spell for enhanced speed, and a 3rd level spell for a powerful scent ability. He can then wildshape into a basic form using any combination of those effects, and call the form whatever feels appropriate. A form with all 4 of those effects might be something like an otter, with both terrestrial and limited aquatic abilities. (Although the total number of active forms should probably be limited somehow. Maybe 1 at first level, scaling up to something like 6 or 7 at 20th.)

For forms that deviate from recognized animal types the druid might adopt "wild forms" that are merely animal-like, rather than treating existing animals like a straightjacket. That could inform a role-playing angle, where a villager might see only a new scary animal, while someone skilled in nature lore might have an inkling of something strange afoot. The player should have to describe the basic form of the creature. If they want to make a flying wolf, though, that is fine by me. Just because nature didn't make one (according to current splat books, natch) doesn't mean nature couldn't.

Now, the idea is that these at-will forms are flexible but not particularly powerful. However, suppose one could expend the spell slots of a form to turn into a "paragon" or "dire" version of the animal? Each of these slots could have this paragon version listed with it, which might grant increased size, ability score boosts, etc. Scent might become something like blind-sight, for example. This form would be shorter-lived, and would of course effectively expend some of the at-will flexibility later in the day.

I could also imagine this being compatible with a very minor form of natural casting that would not cause druidzilla. Namely, while wildshaped a druid could "cast" these spells to add to or alter its current form, possibly adding paragon features if needed. For example, suppose a druid were in an at-will wolf form (terrestrial base, extra speed, scent), he might be able to turn into the paragon version of his existing form or add another ability to his existing form. They could even be mixed-and-matched: maybe in some form the druid really needs the paragon version of scent for a few minutes, he could use that in the present form without losing his other at-will abilities.

This scheme would allow a druid to focus on wild-shaping vs. spells in almost any combination. Some would go for flexibility and primarily stick to at-will forms, others would choose the same forms as spells several times in order to use the paragon versions many times a day, while still others would forego it entirely or be content with just a single at-will squirrel wildshape. The balance could change daily, leaving it as a playstyle issue. In addition, by leaving the precise form each version represents vague while more carefully defining the mechanical benefits we let players be creative with the cosmetic aspects without sacrificing mechanical balance entirely. It also avoids requiring a new spell for every single animal.

As an aside, a similar idea could be imagined for animal companions, familars, etc. I'm less excited about it for animal companions because non-spellcasters should be able to get those too, but for familiars I think it could work quite well. The triumphant return of Call Familiar? A wizard with a pseudodragon might be a genuine cause for concern.

Edit: Thinking about the action economy I think it could be quite interesting as well. Let a druid add or swap a characteristic as part of an action, or change any number of characterstics as an action. Complex forms could evolve slowly while doing other stuff, or very quickly if needed. To me the idea of a druid in wolf form jumping off a cliff while swapping (as part of the action) its terrestrial form for an aerial form sounds awesome.

Last edited:

Of those options, I like the "family of spells" idea, particularly if they can be spontaneously cast by sacrificing other prepared spells. Have one wildshape option per spell level, with increasing power/flexibility, so the druid can wildshape in a limited manner at level 1.

It's essentially a "free" ability, then. If you don't want wildshape to be part of your schtick, you can ignore it. It might also be an option to switch wildshape out for other types of spontaneous casting, like summon nature's ally.

Kavon

Explorer
I think I'd like to see a series of abilities/spells/powers/whatever, where all have a specific function (one allows you to fly, another allows you to breathe underwater and swim, the next would give you certain capabilities in combat, etc...) and how many times you can use them (at-will, a certain number of times per encounter or per day, whatever).

I would not like to see some open-ended class feature where it's pretty much up in the air what you'll be turning into, where you'll be spending the next hour figuring out which beast suits you best at that particular time (and if you are actually eligible to turn into it), noting down all the relevant statistics and then trying to remember how your own stats affect them.. And whatever else the average person would have to do, which causes the game to grind to a halt.

dnlas

First Post
For example, a low level wild shape spell might grant +2 to one physical ability score and +1 to another. You choose, so if you were shifting into a puma you might get +2 dex, +1 str while shifting to an ox would give you +2 con, +1 str. You choose from either an improved movement mode (+10 feet movement for puma), +1 natural armor (for the ox), or enhanced senses (like +4 on checks involving sight for an eagle).
d.

So should they lose the magic weapon they hold, the armor (and shield)they wear?
should druid use a action to gain +1 str +2dex and their AC be lower from 18 to 11, At the same time cleric use a action to give himself a strong buff and lose nothing?

Or should druid keep their magic weapon and armor while shifting? same claw they slam and dmg from 1d3 to 2d6 because they hold different weapon before they shifting? Same skin they change into and their AC among 11 to 19 because they wear different armor before shifting?

Wildshaped druid should as strong as a melee cleric that get a one buff(or stronger if cleric get the better heal ability or clerics can use their magic weapon but druids can not)

slobster

Hero
So should they lose the magic weapon they hold, the armor (and shield)they wear?
should druid use a action to gain +1 str +2dex and their AC be lower from 18 to 11, At the same time cleric use a action to give himself a strong buff and lose nothing?

Or should druid keep their magic weapon and armor while shifting? same claw they slam and dmg from 1d3 to 2d6 because they hold different weapon before they shifting? Same skin they change into and their AC among 11 to 19 because they wear different armor before shifting?

Wildshaped druid should as strong as a melee cleric that get a one buff(or stronger if cleric get the better heal ability or clerics can use their magic weapon but druids can not)

I haven't looked at the math in any detail, honestly. It's more work than I'm interested in doing. To answer your question broadly, I think a druid that needs to cast a spell to wild shape should get about as much combat ability once transformed as a particularly competent cleric (before self-buffs). The plus side is that he can tailor his wild shape to the particular encounter. To fight a slow, inaccurate opponent he adopts a form that is lithe and hard to hit. When fighting a group of weak enemies he chooses a form that is tough but can still dish out damage.

You'd have to play around with the math to reach that, but it would be nice if you could do so without having to resort to magic items and armor transforming with the druid, but somehow still granting bonuses. You could benefit from magic items that you wear as an animal (like a collar or a belt) but not ones you couldn't wear/use (like a sword or a helmet).

Dice4Hire

First Post
You'd have to play around with the math to reach that, but it would be nice if you could do so without having to resort to magic items and armor transforming with the druid, but somehow still granting bonuses. You could benefit from magic items that you wear as an animal (like a collar or a belt) but not ones you couldn't wear/use (like a sword or a helmet).

I absolutely DO NOT want things like this where I have to redo all the math on my sheet every time my druid changes shape.

slobster

Hero
I absolutely DO NOT want things like this where I have to redo all the math on my sheet every time my druid changes shape.

A reasonable point. Playing a druid means that you shouldn't need to do so every time, though. You should probably have a second stat block prepared ahead of time for your shapechange, to which you can make minor adjustments like "scent" or "flight 60 ft" as the situation warrants.

That doesn't seem so bad to me, and is worth the tradeoff in increased complexity for the increased flexibility.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads