• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How To Do Wildshape

The D&DN Druid's Wild Shape Ability Should Be:

• A spell, or a family of spells.

Votes: 25 35.2%
  • A class feature, that is usable X times per day.

Votes: 20 28.2%
  • An encounter power.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • An at-will power.

Votes: 13 18.3%
  • Something else entirely (explain).

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • Removed forever.

Votes: 4 5.6%

Li Shenron

Legend
I prefer wildshape to be turned into spells, but only if the Druid doesn't automatically know all the spells on her list like Clerics do.

Otherwise, let it be a unique mechanic that comes from choosing the Druid's Circle (or whatever), like transformation into draconic features is one option for the Sorcerer but not mandatory to all.

I strongly prefer that not every Druid must have wildshape. I want it to be a player's choice. This way it also becomes a useful world-building tool because you can make you own different druidic groups focused on totally different abilities (wildshaping, animal companions, awakening plants, weather magic, elemental magic...).

Also, who said that the Druid need its own class-defining mechanic? She already has it: druidic spells. There is still room for variations on how spellcasting works, so Druids will have their own variant slightly different from the Cleric and the Wizard AND their unique spells list with hopefully several spells not available to other classes.

OR Druids could have a magic system that is very similar to Warlock's Invocations, but a variant of it. Even the background flavor is not totally different, Warlocks = pact with powerful beings, Druids = pact with nature and nature's favors...

Sadras

Legend
I'd give them some "drift" representing their ability to channel animal spirits into themselves. Not quite shapechanging yet, but something more than human nonetheless. Things like scent, night vision, or the ability to hold your breath for fifteen minutes at a time are along the lines of what I'm thinking of.

Gangrel Druids for the Win :p

But seriously, there are some amazing ideas on this topic from many many posters...its making my head explode.

Last edited:

ArmoredSaint

First Post
Given that there is little to no support in history or myth that I am aware of for druids turning themselves into animals, I say do away with "wildshape" (silly name, anyway) entirely. Leave that sort of thing to Wizards' polymorph spells. Druids can have other fun, nature-y, dirt-worshiping powers...

Someone

Adventurer
Regardless of what druids could be in the past or where do they come from, the central aspect of them in D&D has always been wildshape. It's become pretty much the central defining element of the druid and it shouldn't be hidden in their spell list but be a central element and be available from level 1.

Also, it shouldn't mimic monster stats – this always leads to problems. Have a set of predefined forms the druid gets as he advances in level and can be easily referenced.

Sadras

Legend
Given that there is little to no support in history or myth that I am aware of for druids turning themselves into animals, I say do away with "wildshape" (silly name, anyway) entirely. Leave that sort of thing to Wizards' polymorph spells. Druids can have other fun, nature-y, dirt-worshiping powers...

Really? Do you feel the same way about fireballs given then non-origin from history or myth, should we abandon them entirely too?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
How about this:

At first level, the druid chooses a totem animal. This totem determines the druid's animal companion, the druid's wildshape form, and the type of animals summoned by her summon nature's ally spells.

Then at 3rd, or 4th, or 5th level, whatever, she chooses another one. Now she has two animals to choose from for her animal companion, her wildshape form, and her summoned animals.

As she gains levels, she builds her catalog of animal totems.

This would limit the ability a great deal, it would make the choice of animal companion a lot more significant, and would help alleviate the grind that results from searching through the MM for The Perfect Animal for the situation.

There's little to no support in history or myth for ANYTHING resembling the D&D druid, at least if you're talking about the historical druids.

They didn't worship nature, to name one obvious thing. They didn't have a problem with metal weapons. The list could go on and on.

On the other hand, shapechanging IS very distinctive of Celtic myth. If you have magical power in such myths, you probably do change into animal shape every so often. Taliesin had a very famous shapeshifting duel at one point, for example, and he was just a bard, not a full druid.

So I've got no problem with D&D druids shapeshifting.

EDIT:

Someone said:
Regardless of what druids could be in the past or where do they come from, the central aspect of them in D&D has always been wildshape. It's become pretty much the central defining element of the druid and it shouldn't be hidden in their spell list but be a central element and be available from level 1.

Regardless of what clerics could be in the past or where do they come from, the central aspect of them in D&D has always been Turn Undead. It's become pretty much the central defining element of the cleric and it shouldn't be hidden in their spell list but be a central element and be available from level 1.

Druids could get Wildshape spells autoprepared - either by default, or depending on their 'circle', if such exist. Same way that clerics presently get Turn Undead auto-prepared, though I personally wish they didn't.

Last edited:

Someone

Adventurer
Regardless of what clerics could be in the past or where do they come from, the central aspect of them in D&D has always been Turn Undead. It's become pretty much the central defining element of the cleric and it shouldn't be hidden in their spell list but be a central element and be available from level 1.

Cute, but no.

Turn undead may be iconic isn't as central, defining or all around powerful as wilshape has been for druids. Remove it or make it an ancillary spell and the druid may be as well a cleric domain.

Turn undead may be iconic isn't as central, defining or all around powerful as wilshape has been for druids. Remove it or make it an ancillary spell and the druid may be as well a cleric domain.

You know... burn me for a heretic, but I don't think that would be a disaster. It worked in 2e just fine!

But even as a spell or spells, wildshape could remain central to the class just by specifying it as auto-prepared.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads