D&D 5E How to evict a soul in a ring of mind shielding

NotAYakk

Legend
Step 1: Find a replacement soul. Someone you would prefer in the ring, and is willing to die to get in (and stay).

Step 2: kick the soul out.

Step 3: put ring on replacement soul-bearer. Kill them.

Step 4: fullfil whatever promise you made to replacement soul-bearer.

I hadn’t considered that the ring might have other abilities. It might be worth casting Legend Lore on it. I know he’s a powerful wizard and artifact crafter but he refused to tell me his name. I know he’s a deep gnome.

At one point he refused to speak to me until he decided if I was a ‘worthy bearer’. I said fine and chucked him in my bag of holding. He seemed upset by that.

For the record, for a normal ring of mind shielding, if you kill the ring bearer, the new soul doesn’t replace the old one. The deceased soul only goes in the ring if the ring is empty at the time of death.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
In the first post, last paragraph, the poster implied the soul was of a wizard who is in it doing research, and that is a reason it refuses to leave.

We are talking about a house ruled variant of the ring, so it might be that there are more alterations beyond what we know already.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
We forgot the most obvious solution: Just think horrible, awful thoughts, constantly, all the time. Eventually the spirit will leave the ring voluntarily. ...Maybe this is why my house isn't haunted.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
You can always threaten it.

"Stop reading my mind, or I am going to have this ring embedded into a block of stone and I will dump it into the depths of the sea."

Remove ads