D&D (2024) How to fix Path of the Berserker of the Barbarian?

Horwath

Legend
Getting a exhaustion level is too much of a hindrance for one extra attack as Bonus action.

So what if Berserker rage does not give exhaustion level, but activation of Frenzy rage uses two daily uses of rage?

And you can make Bonus action attack with same action that you activate Rage.

That would give 1st level barbarian two normal rages per day, or one Frenzy Rage.

Isn't it already fixed with the new Exhaustion Levels and changes two two-weapon fighting?

It is at least way better. Although astacking -1 to every d20 roll is still annyoing.
I think if the barbarian could recover 2 exhaustion levels per long rest would help a lot.
Maybe to combine the Idea: a barbarian may spend one rage during a short or long rest to recover from 1 exhaustion level.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
The new exhaustion rules make it already way better.

The only thing that I'd favor would be to go back to the playtest rules and make the extra attack from Frenzy once per round for free. No Bonus Action.

In the 2014 playtest, each extra attack from Frenzy cost 5 HP (non-reduceable, max once per turn). That can also be a good way of doing things.

And the fear feature should be based on Con or Str, and maintained as a B.A each round. Or just make it a war cry action frightening everyone within X feet for 1 minute in exchange of a use of Rage.

Clint_L

Hero
Let barbarians recover exhaustion on short rest.
Hmmm...my initial thought was "great idea," but then I started thinking of ways that this could maybe cause problems outside of using Frenzy. Maybe Berserker Barbarians could choose between using hit dice or recovering a level of exhaustion during a short rest?

I do think the new exhaustion rules would go a long way towards fixing this particular issue, though I'm not 100% sold on the new exhaustion rules. In general, Berserker Barbarian needs to be kept simple because it is one of those vanilla subclasses that is really good to have around for new or less serious players. For the same reason, you kind of want it to be a solid but not spectacular subclass.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Another option would be to just give the barbarian a saving throw, escalating by +5, like Relentless Endurance. I’ve always liked that mechanic.

Stalker0

Legend
I will say that the immunity to charm they get at level 6 is actually a very awesome ability, I have seen a barb in my game use it to amazing effect. So it doesn't need a rethink, just a tune up.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Getting a exhaustion level is too much of a hindrance for one extra attack as Bonus action.

So what if Berserker rage does not give exhaustion level, but activation of Frenzy rage uses two daily uses of rage?

And you can make Bonus action attack with same action that you activate Rage.

That would give 1st level barbarian two normal rages per day, or one Frenzy Rage.
I think with the new Exhaustion rules being tested in UA, the Berserker is largely fixed.

If not, I’d be inclined to simply give a PB/LR limit on uses of Frenzy, or make it cost a hit die.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
I’ve never minded the old penalty. I usually saved it for the Big Boss Fight, and if sometimes I mis-judged that, or maybe intentionally used it earlier in the adventuring day, one level of exhaustion didn’t feel like too steep a price for awesomeness.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases