D&D (2024) How to get option to have all feats available at 1st level?

It’s fine to start with a 16.
in need roll stats. You may be lucky!
Feats with level requirement are like class features. We can’t have all of it at level 1!

I think all the following are all true
  1. There are already quite a lot of first level feats - the playtest document is not lacking in them
  2. Telekinetic and Telepathic as half feats would make great first level feats to enhance backgrounds
  3. The two feats in question came out in Tasha's, six years after the PHB. Them not being included in the playtest is not unexpected or some sort of failure
  4. It would improve the finished product to put them in there
  5. We should therefore suggest it as a potential improvement to include them rather than a criticism that they aren't there
Also
  • There should be something between 4th level feats and 20th level feats. I'm suggesting we need at least a dozen 12th level feats. Including a better version of the ASI boost because it is expected you will have maxed your primary stat by then.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Ok, if 1st level feats need to weak then so be it. but as you can take 1st level feat at later levels, it should be buffed so it isn't so clear trap option.
But it's an obvious trap option, it's labeled as a 1st level feat! You can choose to take a weaker feat instead of a stronger one if you so choose, but it's clearly labeled as weaker. It's the direct opposite of the "trap feat" options from 3e.

I mean, you can always take lower level spells in place of higher ones when preparing or learning spells, but that also isn't a trap option. You don't need to buff a 1st level spell just because you learned it at 9th level. The player has enough information to know they're choosing a weaker option but chooses to do so anyway, either due to specific optimization or just a desire for specific character flavor.

Remove ads