How to get the most out of CustServe, or Give the poor guys a break.

So we all know that there are some areas of the 4e Core that could have used some better editing. We also know that, while WotC may be faster at getting out errata for 4e than previous books, the pace of new questions is much greater than the pace of errata being put out. This creates a situation where there will be many CustServe queries. This situation creates the following problem.

1)New rules, only the designers are experts
2)Confusing text
3)Lots of questions to CustServe
4)CustServe is not an expert and must research each Q, so the number of Qs can become overwhelming
5)CustServe rushes to keep up and does a passable but not perfect job, and some mistakes are made
6)Many arguments ensue, despite CustServe’s attempts to clarify

Many posters have taken the position that the only way to get objective opinions on a rules dispute is to ask CustServe a pointedly non-leading question, and then become resigned to the fact that the rulings by CustServe are inconsistent. They blame CustServe for being bad at ruling on these queries, and come to resent the fact that CustServe is inconsistent within themselves, within the rules, and with later errata. I think that this is unfortunate and somewhat unfair to CustServe.

My solution would be to make sure that CustServe is made aware of all known pertinent rules for the query at hand, and to cite and quote all pertinent text to them in the query. This may be seen as leading, and to some extent it is, but really, to omit data is disingenuous, maybe to the point of being duplicitous. The only way to be sure that a pertinent piece of information is not left out of a calculation is to include it in the query. The fact that the CustServe reps are not experts is obvious. Not including info sets them up to make mistakes. Including info only allows them access to the info if they were unaware of it, and allows them to avoid possible mistakes. If they then deem the info as not pertinent or even possibly wrong, then they do not have to factor it in to their calculations. Including the info also adds clarity to the inquiry, so that they are able to more precisely address the question.

In science, when you are looking at someone else’s data, you are always asking yourself things like, “Does the question address the problem at hand?”, “how was this data collected?”, “were all pertinent factors accounted for?”, “are there other explanations for the data that weren’t addressed?”. When the answer to any of these questions is unsatisfactory, then the value of the data becomes questionable. Only when you can satisfactorily address all these questions, and maybe more on a case by case basis, does the data become valuable to answering the question. This is why most scientific papers have a huge materials and methods section and a huge references section to address the questions above. The conclusions section is usually much shorter.

I am then asking the community, why do we, as a community, insist that the only questions we consider worth considering for CustServe are the ones that leave almost all the pertinent information out? Should we not adhere to the same standards of inquiry that are accepted universally in academia? I would hope that a community of super nerds like ourselves, a group of people so nit-picky and pedantic that there are 15+ page threads on semantics of a game rule, would aspire to this level of precision and accuracy.

Last edited:

Mirtek

Hero
and then become resigned to the fact that the rulings by CustServe are inconsistent. They blame CustServe for being bad at ruling on these queries, and come to resent the fact that CustServe is inconsistent within themselves, within the rules, and with later errata. I think that this is unfortunate and somewhat unfair to CustServe.
While I would agree with this if it were a new 4e problem the thing is that unfortunately it's not caused by the new 4e rules.

Even after years of 3.5e you would still get inconsistent answers from CustServe and could get different answers just by repeating the very same question but each time get different CustServ persons to answer.

So the key to "win" a rules dispute through CustServ was to simple repeat the question until you received the answer you wanted to hear (and then post this official answer and never mention the contradicting answers you received before)
My solution would be to make sure that CustServe is made aware of all known pertinent rules for the query at hand, and to cite and quote all pertinent text to them in the query.
You mean instead of assuming that the people who are being paid to know this stuff are, well, knowing this stuff?
This may be seen as leading, and to some extent it is, but really, to omit data is disingenuous, maybe to the point of being duplicitous.
It may be duplicitous, however it wouldn't work if these people would know their stuff.

Am I being hard toward CustServ? Maybe, but these people do this for living and I expect them to know all the related stuff. If I go to my mechanic to ask him about the strange noise my engine makes I do not include a "car engines repair manual" but expect him to know the relevant stuff about motors to find the problem and fix it.
The fact that the CustServe reps are not experts is obvious.
Which doesn't excuse this fact. Like said first, I would be willing to excuse this for some time because of the new rules system -> if it were a new problem (which it isn't)

PS: At the very least they should start a database where they collect all their answers for their colleagues to look up. So that you would no longer get two different answers to the very same question because the first time it was Steve who answered and the second time it was Mary who answered.

jelmore

First Post
Am I being hard toward CustServ? Maybe, but these people do this for living and I expect them to know all the related stuff. If I go to my mechanic to ask him about the strange noise my engine makes I do not include a "car engines repair manual" but expect him to know the relevant stuff about motors to find the problem and fix it.

Being in customer service is not the same thing as being a mechanic. Have you ever worked a customer service job in your life?

Your hypothetical auto mechanic has probably spent a lot of time being trained and educated about his profession, not just on the principles of how a car works but also the ins and outs of specific brands and models. Most customer service are hired for their communication and interpersonal skills; in-depth knowledge of a product or industry would be a perk.

I wouldn't know how WotC has their CS department organized, but I would never expect the phone and email jockeys to be 100% proficient with a rules system that, IMO, isn't done yet. Unless the people manning the phones are the same people who are writing the rulebooks -- or breathing the same air as them -- it's going to be difficult to be sure of the intent behind a rule or effect. It's never occurred to me to call WotC's customer service line for help with rules questions, precisely for that reason. I'm more likely to head to Ask the Sage or look for posts from developers on forums.

(At the same time, the only reasons you should get different answers to the same question would be errata or a revision to a rule or effect in a later sourcebook. Where I work, we rolled our own internal wiki for just this reason -- so we could make sure we're giving the same answers every time.)

Mirtek

Hero
Have you ever worked a customer service job in your life?
No, but I wouldn't take a job where my task is to explain something I have no clue about.
Your hypothetical auto mechanic has probably spent a lot of time being trained and educated about his profession, not just on the principles of how a car works but also the ins and outs of specific brands and models. Most customer service are hired for their communication and interpersonal skills; in-depth knowledge of a product or industry would be a perk.
Which is the bad way of selecting your CustServ employees. I work in the chemical industry and we produce films for packaging of food, medical and technical products.

Our CustServ people are trained in the specific porperties and do's and don'ts of our different receipes so that they don't give customers a wrong answer about what a certain type of film can be used for.
I wouldn't know how WotC has their CS department organized, but I would never expect the phone and email jockeys to be 100% proficient with a rules system that, IMO, isn't done yet.
Like I said: I would give them time to get proficient with the new rules system, but the thing is that they did not seem to have been proficient with the old rules system either.

While I would agree that it would be nice if the CustServe guys were experts, and it would be nice if they would talk to each other and keep a database of answers, and it would be nice if it had been the case that this had been going on for more than the current edition, none of these things are true.

Since they are not, then the only practical way to deal with it is to acknowledge these facts, and undergo a change in how we interact with them with these facts in mind. The only way to make sure that they are aware of the rules that are confusing us is to present all the confusing facts. Otherwise they may assume that we are talking about something else, or even make a flat out mistake.

I understand that they are not perfect. They are not even as good as some of the people on these and other boards. But they are more official than almost everybody on these boards. So their informed opinion is valuable. An uninformed opinion from them is not valuable. I am just suggesting a way to increase the likelihood that their opinion is informed. And since they obviously don't keep a database of rulings, then we can take that role upon ourselves by adding any seemingly pertinent rulings from them in our query, in order to help keep their opinion informed. If we send them a series of rulings that are inconsistent, I am sure that the issue will be more likely to be sent to a developer to rule on. This will make it more likely that the confusion is cleared up in an errata.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
When asking CustServe for an answer, I always give them all relevant rules text, all arguments I have seen from all aspects of the issue, and a set of multiple choice answers that cover all the possibilities I can think of.

They might ignore all of that, but usually it seems helpful, and they usually choose a particular option in the multiple choice, and site some of the specific rules I have cited, in their answer.

MwaO

Adventurer

If the problem with your car is that it makes a funny sound when you go over a certain speed, you don't just tell him your engine makes a funny sound. You tell him when it happens. Because if you don't, he's going to hand you a bill and not fix the problem.

Ditto for CustServ - if the answer is not obvious due to related stuff, point it out to them - at worst, they knew it already. At best, they'll go ask R&D if it is really problematic.

Zimri

First Post
If the problem with your car is that it makes a funny sound when you go over a certain speed, you don't just tell him your engine makes a funny sound. You tell him when it happens. Because if you don't, he's going to hand you a bill and not fix the problem.

Ditto for CustServ - if the answer is not obvious due to related stuff, point it out to them - at worst, they knew it already. At best, they'll go ask R&D if it is really problematic.

Assuming my car is in drivable condition: when we arrive at my mechanics home we take the car to get coffee, there is a highway between his house and the coffee shop. If there is anything he needs to know before the drive I or my wife tell him (it's pulling, it clunks over 70kph whatever) then we go to his garage and he looks it over now that he has a feel for (or sound for) how the car is acting up. After the repairs we usually go for food.

I say all that to say this, maybe we should all game with custserve, or at the very least describe what came up during a game that caused the issue. If it didn't come up during a game (and really I doubt infinite oregano, bag of rats, or CoD not killing a minion are anything more than intellectual exercizes) Then use the rules you are asking about to pait a plausible game scenario.

IanB

First Post
I'd guess they spend 90% of their time answering MtG or Pokemon questions rather than D&D, too, which could explain the appearance that there's a relative lack of D&D knowledge, but who knows, maybe they have some dedicated D&D people.

Remove ads