How to handle my Campaign Setting

3.5E, 4E, or both for a setting?

• Release it as a 3.5 setting. I think the 3.5 market will remain strong enough for it to work.

Votes: 19 14.3%
  • Wait and release it as a 4E setting

Votes: 83 62.4%
  • Release it as a 3.5 setting, then re-release under 4E, covering all bases.

Votes: 31 23.3%

Wolv0rine

First Post
I have something I’d like to get as much feedback/opinions on as possible. I’ve been working on a campaign setting for quite some time now, with an eye toward publishing it when I feel it’s gotten to that point.
Now, disregarding for the moment whether or not you consider yourself in the market for a new setting/world, with 4E on it’s way what would be the odds that were you in the market for a new setting you would be interested in a 3.5E setting?
Or, for that matter, I have also considered releasing it as a 3.5 setting when I’ve gotten it publishably “finished”, then re-releasing it as a 4E setting once 4E comes out and I have that system to ‘re-tool’ it.
Nothing exactly concrete here, I’m just trying to get an idea of what peoples thoughts are on the matter. I’d done a lot of work within the 3.5E system, and I would hate to lose the work done. On the other hand I don’t want it to become a “3E relic” of a setting right out of the gate.
Thanks all

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I would do as Green Ronin did with the new Freeport -- release the fluff as a system-independent product and then provide rule support for multiple systems via specific supplements. This will make your setting more accessible to a wider range of consumers, while ensuring you future sales.

[Edit: I would not do a dual-stat product as, traditionally, such products go over like a turd in the punchbowl, commercially speaking. Also, they allow you to cover two systems, at best. The option above will allow you to cover as many systems as you like, not limited to 3.5 and 4.e, but including such things as BESM d20, Runequest, Grim Tales, and other OGC rule systems.]

Last edited:

avr

First Post
I don't think anything new for 3.5e will sell well once 4e hits the shelves. There will be a lot of secondhand 3.5e books depressing the market for 3.5e books at that point.

If I'm right, you've got very little time to finish getting your setting ready for publishing, and then making back your costs before sales will fall off.

Wolv0rine

First Post
jdrakeh said:
I would do as Green Ronin did with the new Freeport -- release the fluff as a system-independent product and then provide rule support for multiple systems via specific supplements. This will make your setting more accessible to a wider range of consumers, while ensuring you future sales.

[Edit: I would not do a dual-stat product as, traditionally, such products go over like a turd in the punchbowl, commercially speaking. Also, they allow you to cover two systems, at best. The option above will allow you to cover as many systems as you like, not limited to 3.5 and 4.e, but including such things as BESM d20, Runequest, Grim Tales, and other OGC rule systems.]
Hmm, now that's an interesting suggestion. So, if I'm getting you right you suggest releasing Base Setting (fluff), then follow up with "Base Setting - d20 3.5E", "Base Setting - d20 4E", "Base Setting - True20", etc? (And no, those are of course not actual title proposals :) )
Do you think the customer base would be okay with "I have to buy the setting, AND buy this other book to tell me how it acts within X system??" For 3.5E for example, there's a lot of crunch going on (the base classes are almost all tweaked, at least one re-written pretty much from scratch, the racial lists aren't exactly core, the magic systems are written from the ground up, etc). So (as it exists right now) as a 3.5E setting there's a LOT to give the reader to let them understand how things don't work quite like core 3.5E. But I wouldn't want to have people (yes, there's always some of them whatever you do) crying foul if the base Setting "required" a secondary book to work with whatever system you're playing.

I like the idea, though, if I follow you right.

Wolv0rine

First Post
avr said:
I don't think anything new for 3.5e will sell well once 4e hits the shelves. There will be a lot of secondhand 3.5e books depressing the market for 3.5e books at that point.

If I'm right, you've got very little time to finish getting your setting ready for publishing, and then making back your costs before sales will fall off.
This being exactly what I'm afraid of (well, making back costs isn't so much of an issue. I presume I'm looking at a pdf run, and since I'm doing writing and art myself that takes the big costs out, and I have access to editor(s), so costs will be minimal). On the other hand, I've noticed more than a small few people on these forums alone saying they're going to stick with 3.5E. So I thought I'd try to get as many opinions on the matter as possible.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Wolv0rine said:
For 3.5E for example, there's a lot of crunch going on (the base classes are almost all tweaked, at least one re-written pretty much from scratch, the racial lists aren't exactly core, the magic systems are written from the ground up, etc).
If that much was changed, it's not really 3.5E anymore, right? It rather sounds like an OGL game. And then it sounds better to do a fluff-only setting book and also an OGL "Player's Handbook".

Cheers, LT.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Wolv0rine said:
Hmm, now that's an interesting suggestion. So, if I'm getting you right you suggest releasing Base Setting (fluff), then follow up with "Base Setting - d20 3.5E", "Base Setting - d20 4E", "Base Setting - True20", etc? (And no, those are of course not actual title proposals :) )

Pretty much. I'd package the Core Setting as a standalone, entirely fluff, product. Then I'd package the rules as subsequent system-specific products.

Do you think the customer base would be okay with "I have to buy the setting, AND buy this other book to tell me how it acts within X system??"

It's a daring model, for sure. That said, Green Ronin is in it up to their necks and I can't believe that they went into it without doing much research. Likewise, the widespread popularity of system-indpendent settings such as HarnWorld, Kaas (Arduin), and the like seem to indicate that the model is pregnant with possibilities. And GR's new system-independent Freeport seems to have met with largely positive response so far.

But I wouldn't want to have people (yes, there's always some of them whatever you do) crying foul if the base Setting "required" a secondary book to work with whatever system you're playing.

Some people will undoubtedly scream about this. That said, I honestly think that they will be in the minority. The thing is, many gamers like to homebrew and houserule, anyhow. If you give them an engaging setting without a system, many gamers will make it their own and love it (some will undoubtedly apply their favorite system as they see fit before any official rule supplements hit the shelves). And really, that's an entirely different market that you've tapped right out of the gate.

EyeontheMountain

First Post
I would have to agree that system neutral is the best, at least to start. That way, you can afford to ait and see how the wind blows with 4E and decide where to go there, or start working on a 3.5 version till then.

Remove ads