• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to make a miniature storage bin.

frankthedm

First Post
[imagel]http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/5313/planominicaseis4.gif[/imagel]How to make a mini bin.

Stuff you need:
closing tool box or bin
a several sheets of cardboard cut to slightly smaller than the bin
several sheets of 1/4" foam or bed cushion / egg crate foam
a few sheets of 1" or 1.5" thick foam [optional]
masking tape

Box lid
Extra foam for stability
Cardboard
1/ 4” Foam sheet
Minis {Small minis on 20MM bases/ pennies , Rats, Ratmen Gobbo's, dogs]
1/4” Foam sheet
Cardboard
1/ 4” Foam sheet
Minis ( Medium Minis on 1 inch washers and bases)
1/4” Foam sheet
Cardboard
1/ 4” Foam sheet
Minis (Big 40mm based minis, Reaper Ettin, Chainmail Owlbear, Ogres and Minotaurs)
1/4” Foam sheet
Cardboard
1/ 4” Foam sheet
Minis {Calvary;1”x2” bases Orcs on Dire wolves, Bretonian Knights on Horseback}
1/4” Foam sheet
Cardboard
1/ 4” Foam sheet
Minis {cheap sturdy plastic minis from box sets.}
1/4” Foam sheet
bottom of box.

Masking tape should be strong enough to hold the foam layers in place to the cardboard. Take a 5 inch piece of the tape. Connect the two end to make an O and use the tape piece as you would use double sided tape. For extra STR. I have two layers of cardboard taped together for each cardboard layer.

The design above is good for decently built and properly sealed minis, but if you don’t want a lot of pressure put on certain fragile minis, like a lot of the WotC multi pieces or a mini that has a lot of easily bent parts, try this;

Take a 1 inch or 1.5” thick layer of foam the same size as one of your layers and cut out with a sharp blade a nook for a fragile mini. Keep doing this until you have filled the sheet with nooks for fragile minis.

1” foam sheet with minis in nooks [Chainmail glaiver, musketeers with pewter rapiers.
1/4” Foam sheet
Cardboard

Attachments

• base and boxjp.jpg
    base and boxjp.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 1,443
Last edited:

KnowTheToe

First Post
An addition that could be added is a loop of string attached to the two narrow sides each layer, the string can be used as handles to lift each layer. I saw this on a homeade box similar to the one above and it worked really well.

pogre

Legend
I used this concept to create a box for my hirst arts dungeon rooms on a little larger scale and it works great.

Reese

Banned
Banned
This is a great thread. I have so many star wars minis and nowhere to go with them, so I'll be making one of these for myself soon. Thanks!

Remove ads