• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to Make D&D Accessible to the Non-Mathematically Inclined?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
For us, it's certainly the number of modifiers rather than the math itself.

Add in dispel magic, situational bonuses or penalties, and it can get quite complicated -- not actually complex, just a lot of details to track.

Cheers, -- N

DonTadow

First Post
anton1066 said:
If they cannot add simple two digit numbers together......they probably cant role play either.
I got to agree, and not being snarky but this has been my experience. D and D is not math heavy. There is no need for a calculator, they only teach this math as high as second grade.

You and your other players will be frustrated if you have to make concessions to lighten an already light game. If you take all the math out eventually you're just larping.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
DonTadow said:
I got to agree, and not being snarky but ...

...but, you'll insult people anyway.

DonTadow do not post in this thread again. After the warnings posted here already, this should not be a surprise. If you have any questions about this, take them to e-mail.

XO

First Post
Funny: boards are supposed to be about exchanging views

Umbran said:
This is like saying, "I don't want to stick my nose in, but..."

There is no "Yet..." A moderator has asked for an end to the hostilities and insults. Period. Discussion of 'loss of freedom' and 1984 are not helping by dragging public policy and politics into this, and they are not appropriate discussion fodder for these boards.

So, folks, stop these lines of discussion. You can state your frustrations, and talk about ways of dealing. But leave the rest behind, and move on, please.

As an addendum, it is even sadder when we must start policing ourselves even when the level of discussion remains mature... Some of us merely attempt to restore critical thinking, and to apply it to everything. Some of us want to stop any critical thinking whatsoever, for it clashes with the Law, no matter how senseless?

Viva critical thinking, and when in doubt, use E-Tools once, print the sheet, and buy a calculator... :cool:

Rel

Liquid Awesome
XO said:
As an addendum, it is even sadder when we must start policing ourselves even when the level of discussion remains mature... Some of us merely attempt to restore critical thinking, and to apply it to everything. Some of us want to stop any critical thinking whatsoever, for it clashes with the Law, no matter how senseless?

Viva critical thinking, and when in doubt, use E-Tools once, print the sheet, and buy a calculator... :cool:

Well at least one "law" around here is going to be upheld: If you disagree with an act of moderation then you are free to e-mail the mod in question. Responding in the thread is likely to earn one a ban of 2 days.

That's "TWO DAYS" or "A Pair of Diurnal Periods" for the Non-Mathematically Inclined.

Feldspar

Explorer
Merkuri said:
Sudoku doesn't actually require math skills. It could just as easily be played with letters or symbols instead of numbers. Kakuro, on the other hand, has plenty of simple math (addition and subtraction) involved.
I recently took part in a puzzle solving competition that had a letter sudoku - the grid was made up of 5x5 blocks, instead of 3x3, with 25 squares per row and column. Some of the resulting filled in 5x5 blocks where then used as the Playfair cipher keys and used to decrypt some text :)

LightPhoenix

First Post
Merkuri said:
Sudoku doesn't actually require math skills. It could just as easily be played with letters or symbols instead of numbers. Kakuro, on the other hand, has plenty of simple math (addition and subtraction) involved.

I'm not certain it's the same skillset either. You don't have to remember what number you're adding up to, and while you can memorize all the number combinations, it's a fairly ineffective way of working the puzzle. On the other hand, in D&D, you not only have to keep in mind the value of modifiers, but what type they are and their durations... that's a lot more information to be recalled from memory. It might help, but I don't think math skills are really the problem, more than handling complex, dynamic information.

Thulcondar

First Post
Peni Griffin said:
Agh! I can, but that's the dreaded typo, and since I'm at work I didn't proofread properly in my haste to hit submit and tab to a legal screen as I heard someone coming up behind me.

Oh, just busting your chops. Hence the smiley. :)

DonTadow

First Post
Umbran said:

...but, you'll insult people anyway.

DonTadow do not post in this thread again. After the warnings posted here already, this should not be a surprise. If you have any questions about this, take them to e-mail.
??? who did i insult?

Remove ads