How to manage all the conditions and effects?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Many conditions does not equal lots of conditions in play at the same time.

But there is one thing: All the conditions and effects which were also present in D&D4e.
How do you manage them? For 4e I've used the 4eturntracker tool but for 13th age there is no such tool (or am I wrong?).

I think you may be confusing the number of conditions for how often they get put on. 4e it seemed like half the powers put on some sort of condition. Controllers were especially common to put conditions on with an area of effect. Prone, granting combat advantage to the rogue, -2 to hit, dazed, ongoing 5 acid, slow, immobilized, restrained, etc. We used colored Alea Tools magnets stacked under the bases of the minis, and in paragon tier foes could easily double in height.

13th Age doesn't apply them nearly as often. It's very rare to have a lot of conditions, either PC or foe, so far in the campaign I run.

So it's not really an issue.

Jhaelen

First Post
I have to admit, I also had the impression that 13th Age has too many conditions. Are they really needed, I wonder? I wouldn't mind merging a few similar ones.
I've printed a bunch of condition cards for the players and plan to basically let them manage the conditions they apply to monsters, i.e. it's their duty to remind me of them. We'll see how that works.

mkill

Adventurer
I have to admit, I also had the impression that 13th Age has too many conditions. Are they really needed, I wonder? I wouldn't mind merging a few similar ones.
I've printed a bunch of condition cards for the players and plan to basically let them manage the conditions they apply to monsters, i.e. it's their duty to remind me of them. We'll see how that works.
If you are used to 4E the 13th Age conditions are a bit confusing since stuff with the same name has different effects. It's not a big deal though if you have the reference handy for the first few sessions. Vulnerable, dazed and ongoing damage are the common ones, the rest are used quite sparingly.

Lichemaster

Explorer
IMG_20170327_102244214.jpg

Hope this works, in the image I just use folded colour index cards on the DM screen with the characters names. I then took other coloured index cards and cut the card into 3 strips. I wrote the condition/combat choice on it and when the next person in initiative went we knew right away by looking at the initiative tracker that everyone can see.

It's for 5e but you get the point.

Starfox

Hero
I use sealing rings for plastic bags. I have a bowl with rings in 6 colors. Some have static meaning (transparent for invisibility, red for bloodies), others come and go as the occasion requires. We hang them off the minis.

Whatever works for each of us is good!

Edit: A bit of thread necromancy here, I see I already said this in the same thread earlier. :eek:

Last edited:

Remove ads