How to organize a gaming group?

They want to play on their cellphones? Not to be judgmental or anything, but . . . :sick: .
He's not talking about running the game sessions via phone. He's talking about migrating their FB group to an application/suite/service that is accessible via phone (and other mediums).

Hence my suggestion of Discord, it does everything he wants and has pretty ubiquitous platform support.

Okay, tablet and data transfers make more sense. But I've (briefly) been in groups that used their phones for active play like a screwed-up LAN party. Never again.

Staffan

Legend
Discord. You can setup your own free "server", control access to it, have multiple channels for different things, Run voice, video and screen sharing (I think) when you want. Performance is good, no advertising.
Huh. I was under the impression that Discord was more of a chat thing? I might have to look that up.

Staffan

Legend
Okay, tablet and data transfers make more sense. But I've (briefly) been in groups that used their phones for active play like a screwed-up LAN party. Never again.
I usually use my tablet instead of carrying around a bunch of rule books and adventures, and I've gotten D&D Beyond for that purpose (though we still use paper sheets for the most part). But this thread was asking more about the stuff outside of the game itself.

Huh. I was under the impression that Discord was more of a chat thing? I might have to look that up.
It started as chat/text only. But added voice a long time ago (a year?) and screen sharing several months ago. According to my son, it has added streaming abilities recently too (i.e. screen sharing to large groups) (where it used to only be in private conversations). You can upload files and "pin' messages as well.

IMO its not a very good "archive" of information, but then again FB isn't very good either. But, it can work if you have some "channel" discipline and pin messages accordingly, plus it does have the ability to search within a thread. Don't know if their is a time or size limit on that though. Plus, their are tons of "bots" that you can get and install to do all sorts of things.

If you want a "tour" of my very basic server, PM me and I'll show you around.

Remove ads