D&D 5E How to play an evil cleric

Quartz

Hero
I've come across this delicious description on Quora. Here's the start:

Really want to mess with the rest of the party? Then support them wholeheartedly.

LAWFUL GOOD PALADIN: Excuse me, uh, Father…. Zorgoth?

CHAOTIC EVIL CLERIC: Yes, my son? Do come in, I was just making tea.

LGP: Um, Father, I couldn’t help noticing, when you cast that ritual to destroy the goblins, that you rather let slip you were a priest of…. ahem…. “Bloodgar the Smiter.”

CEC: Yes, of course. Biscuit?

Enjoy!

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
I played a lawful evil cleric of Vecna once. It was a campaign that we knew would be shorter term while a couple of the other players wouldn't be able to make it for a while. I think the most important thing is to make it clear to the rest of the party that you are entirely on their side.

In my case we were crew members of a ship where my character was absolutely loyal to the chain of command. He would offer suggestions and advice to the captain but the captain's orders were followed without question. This was because the opportunity of being on a ship allowed him to collect knowledge as well as wealth. So in the long run it was beneficial to keep that relationship and help the party succeed. As a cleric I still healed and buffed my party and offered my knowledge domain divination magic when discussing what we should do.

On the roleplay side of things he wasn't nice, and some of the other characters didn't like him. He was just that one coworker who is kinda creepy but very good at his job.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
When I play evil characters, my personal interpretation of evil is always something I fall back on. With most of my evil characters, their bonds may not differ too much from those of a neutral character. Even evil people can love their family and want to protect their friends and allies. Sometimes, evil people can think that they are good.

It would require a change of philosophy for me to believe in entirely objective evil and good, but I think we can agree that such things could exist. And, across many cultures, we see a common pattern of things that are evil.

I generally make evil characters selfish, and, although they may want to protect their friends and allies, they still may want to harm other people.

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
The evil cleric PC is hard to integrate if you have traditional good characters. Evil characters aren't too bad if everyone is on board, you can be just selfish or brutal without much friction. An evil cleric is not just evil themselves, they are advocates and salespeople for Evil. So the Cleric of Hexxtor isn't just bloodthirsty, she promotes others to be bloodthirsty. Violence might not be the only solution, but it is the preferred solution. A paladin of Rao is not going to be simpatico with this PC. It also comes down to whether the character is evil or just the promoter of an evil deity or cause. The OP may not be CE himself but just a humble servant of Bloodgar the Smiter. Father Zorgoth just promotes the ancient harsh judgment of a traditional blood god. Simple times require a simple religion, and Blood for the Blood God, Smites for the Smiter worked for his grand pappy it will work for us.

Shiroiken

Legend
An evil cleric understands that they're evil. They understand why their deity is evil. They accept this as truth, they merely also accept the necessity of it. With the exception of a truly demented deity, who's followers would have to be clinically insane (such as a worshiper of oblivion, who wishes to unmake the universe), evil deities have a cause and purpose that appeals to people, who often find a way to justify it.

Take for example, Iuz the Old, dread god of the north in the world of Greyhawk. In the southlands, far from his territory, his worshipers might not be considered as threatening. An evil god of Death might be understood as a necessary aspect of life. Without evil, good lacks meaning, which is why there is a balance between the two (yes, spoken like a true Neutral ;) ).

Zardnaar

Legend
An evil cleric understands that they're evil. They understand why their deity is evil. They accept this as truth, they merely also accept the necessity of it. With the exception of a truly demented deity, who's followers would have to be clinically insane (such as a worshiper of oblivion, who wishes to unmake the universe), evil deities have a cause and purpose that appeals to people, who often find a way to justify it.

Take for example, Iuz the Old, dread god of the north in the world of Greyhawk. In the southlands, far from his territory, his worshipers might not be considered as threatening. An evil god of Death might be understood as a necessary aspect of life. Without evil, good lacks meaning, which is why there is a balance between the two (yes, spoken like a true Neutral ;) ).

Maybe not. A lot if evil people don't believe they're evil.

Central American rain gods. Human sacrifice to make the sun come up.

Silly and evil now but they thought they were doing the right thing. May also have been population control with the available resources at least indirectly.

Shiroiken

Legend
Maybe not. A lot if evil people don't believe they're evil.

Central American rain gods. Human sacrifice to make the sun come up.

Silly and evil now but they thought they were doing the right thing. May also have been population control with the available resources at least indirectly.
I guess it depends on how you want to look at it. While a lot of people don't think their evil, I would think that a cleric of an evil deity would understand, as they draw upon that power. Unlike in the modern world, good and evil in the D&D universe are considered absolutes, as defined by the difference between fiends and celestials. IRL what is considered good and evil modifies over time, as history has shown people performing what we now consider heinous in the name of good (the various crusades as an example).

Zardnaar

Legend
I guess it depends on how you want to look at it. While a lot of people don't think their evil, I would think that a cleric of an evil deity would understand, as they draw upon that power. Unlike in the modern world, good and evil in the D&D universe are considered absolutes, as defined by the difference between fiends and celestials. IRL what is considered good and evil modifies over time, as history has shown people performing what we now consider heinous in the name of good (the various crusades as an example).

Evil has good PR.

At the time the Crusades were considered good because the land was taken by force to begin with and the Saracens weren't exactly behaving themselves (slavery, piracy,raiding etc). Snowballed when a Byzantine emperor wrote a letter asking for help.

In D&D terms you go forth to defend the Homeland but you have some infernal being whispering in people ears that the scorched Earth approach is a good thing.

City has surrendered but pillage it anyway. Or loot it anyway. For extra fun you can divert the Crusade and pillage your own allies city (1204).

So something simple as a succubus can create a lot of havoc.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases