How To protect a Spellbook

Wippit Guud

First Post
Safebox from SOng and Silence.
Hardness 40, 80hp, fire/acid resist 12, it's a sweet thing to have, if you can manage the weight.

Or the Possum pouch... but, not having the book at work, I don't know if a spellbook would fit in it.

Laslo Tremaine

Explorer
Here's what my Wizard did to protect his spell books (at 6th lvl or so).

•A lidded, hinged, water tight, masterwork box, interior dimensions of 14"x10"x4" (large enough for two books). 250gp

•Constructed of Mithral. 500gp

•Padded Stone-Cloth lining (alchemicaly flame resistant cloth from the Dragon issue about Dwarves). 300gp.

•2 Amazing locks 300gp.
----
Total Cost 1,350gp

He then casts Arcane lock on it and keeps it in his gloves of storing...

Zerovoid

First Post
I've never seen a spellbook get lost or taken from a wizard. Somehow its always "in my backpack" along with the wizard's familiar. I know you're supposed to roll item saves when a player fails a save, or something, but its just too much work, and seems too brutal for players.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
I've never seen a spellbook get lost or taken from a wizard. Somehow its always "in my backpack" along with the wizard's familiar. I know you're supposed to roll item saves when a player fails a save, or something, but its just too much work, and seems too brutal for players.

Although the spellbook is one of the disadvantages of being a wizard. It shouldn't be targeted by a DM... but if the characters' opponents are magic-savvy, then for them, targetting it is a strategic move.

If the spellbook is assumed to be sacrosanct and untouchable, it takes away from the Sorcerer. If rules about sleeping in armor are ignored, it takes away from the monk.

There's no advantage in playing a character who isn't reliant on items... if the items are always automatically available.

-Hyp.

Remove ads