How To protect a Spellbook

leah2901

First Post
Keeping it secret....

Not just against people who look in it. He has done such things as have a Dragon take it (twice!) because the Dragon could tell it was magical. Is there some way to hide it's magicalness? Or such. Even from elements....he posted that water and paper don't mix...I know he is just playing with me, but sometimes he does mess with it and it BUGS me!

Nystul's Undetectable Aura can protect thew book from being detectd as magic, and you could possibly argue that Endure/Resist Elements could protect the book from water damage, if he's being so picky about the book's lack of waterproofing. Of course, these would be spells you'd have to cast periodically, unless you could get Permanency cast on them.

Gilrion

First Post
Magic of Faerun has some neat stuff in terms of spellbook protection. It'll cost you, but you can protect a spellbook from elements, make it waterproof, make it look like something else, make it more resistant and even spell-trap it.

There are lots of spells to protect it, though. Leomund's Chest, traps spells (Fire Trap, Sepia Snake Sigil, Secret Page...). If you're willing to go all-out, you could buy yourself a glove of storing, and put it there. The glove can still be stolen, though, but they'd have to figure out the password.

bret

First Post
The simple thing is to keep two copies, one of them at a protected location. This is very expensive. You can reduce the cost quite a bit if you find an enemy spellbook that has a lot of overlap in spells with your own.

Go talk to the master who taught you magic. Explain the problems you've been having, and ask him what steps he has found most effective in protecting his spellbook. Great way to find out what the GM things are reasonable security measures while staying in character.

The spell component pouch is listed as being water tight. Get some sort of sack fitted to your spellbook that offers good protection. Oiled leather or something. Keep good care of it.

When it becomes too much of a pain, take Spell Mastery. That way you will always have SOME spells you can prepare.

Cloudgatherer

First Post
Last time I checked, spellbooks themselves are not magical. Is there some spell in particular on it? Nystul's undetectable aura will mask the aura, nondetection will prevent it's location by others (if they are looking for it specifically), and Magic of Faerun has some nifty spellbook protections in it.

TurboTroll

First Post
U can use "Heward’s handy haversack" or "Bag of holding" to protect book, then on haversack/bag cast "Nystul’s Undetectable Aura", it's good solution till U become target of Disjunction...

dagger

Adventurer
Firetrap (wont damage book either)

Magic Mouth - shouts "THIEF!" when someone messes with it.

Have a good ole fashion non magical lock installed on the book.

Firetrap on container holding it.

Secret Page

Explosive Runes

All Ii can think of right now, I also didnt read the thread so sorry if I repeated some of it.

Remove ads