How to Ruin Your Campaign

Black Omega

First Post
How to be good GM threads popped uprecently and had some interesting ideas. Someone mentioned Aaron Allstron's Strike Force and someone else mentioned How to be a bad GM. So, I dug out my old copy of Strike Force and present Ten Ways to Ruin A Campaign. This was originally put out by Aaron Allston in the early 80's but the book has been out of print so long it's a miracle if you find one. Stuff in quotes is from the book. Sometime I should compare the player types in SF to the playertypes DnD uses.:)

1. Never let your player-characters be the best at anything.
""PC's like to be considered experts in their fiels, and it's your job to make sure they understand that they're really not. Always have an NPC around who is better at the PC's skills and professions. When your heros are overwhelmed by enemies, have your NPC's save them . Every time."

Omega Note: This applies more to Hero System, where a starting character can be a nobel prize winning scientist, than it does in DnD where most starting characters are scrubs. :) But the basic idea is valid and one I definitely broke in younger days. Don't have NPC's show up the heros all the time. I like to think I've gotten better at having a world with interesting NPC's without them dominating gameplay.

2. Make sure the Plot and the NPC's are more important than the PC's.
"On a related matter, make sure the plot and NPC's you worked so hard to create aren't seriously disturbed by the actions of the PC's. Given the chance, your players will come up with plans and tactics that are directly backwards of what you thought they'd do. Don't hesitate to force them back into the plot line as you conceived it."

Omega Note: Seemed appropriate with several threads talking about railroading. Lord knows it's easy to fall in love with cool NPC's you create. There have been a couple of times I thought to myself "It's a shame the PC's will just kill this guy tommorrow." :)

3. Force your PC's into role their players hate.
"Players shouldn't be dictating to you the roles they want their characters's to take. If a hero wants to be shiney and respected, frame him for murder and make everyone hate him. ... And don't forget about deliberarely crippling and scarring the heros for plot effect."

Omega Notes: Ugh. I tend to avoid crippling at all costs, aside from something really dumb happening like a PC reaching into metal lionhead with an open mouth to try and pick the lock there without checking for traps.;) To a minor degree, a short arc where a paladin is framed (for example) can be fun, but if it causes problems with the player it should not be a continuing theme. Not everyone wants to be the Amazing Spiderman.:)

4. Introduce Genre conventions your players hate.
"Here's a question, who's campaign is it anyway? If you'd like for the heros to spend their careers as fugitives from the law, go ahead, regardless of what your players think of the idea."

Omega Note: Do you ever get the idea AA has dealt with alot of power tripping GMs?:)

5. Overcomplicate!
"This is fun, create massively comnplex plots with clues flying around like clouds of bats. then make the players feel like idiots when they can't figure things out. ... In association with rules #1 and #2 above, be sure to have an NPC thinker on hand to figure everything out when the PC's are too dumb too."

Omega Note: While it's not intentional, I've been guilty of plots that were overly complex. What seems obvious to me sometimes, is obviously less obvious to my players.:) I'm working on this, but haven't really found the right balance of obvious to subtle yet.

6. Always obey dice rolls; Never surender the scene!

Omega Note: This can be a point of style for some games. Some people prefer to just roll the diceand never fudge, just let the dice fall where they may. Personally, if a it's been a long, hard fought struggle, it's 2 AM and a PC has just reduced the bad guy to 1 HP, I'm willing to call it a kill instead of using that last cute critical wounds the bad guy might have had. It's fudging a little, but in a way that gives a good climax to the game.

7. Drone.
"When game-mastering uyse narration instead of acting out dialogue, always stay as calm as possible while describing everything out in minute detail. Keep telling yourself it's only a game."

8. Get to know your players -- and step on their psychological limitations.
"Find out what your players want out of a campaign -- and by denying it to them show them who's really boss. ... Don't forget the player's lesser irritations: if the players truly dislike a recurrent villain, have him show up all the time."

Omega Note: I've so seen this in my old days in university. The hated recurring villain can be an accident of a GM simply too in love with his NPC to realize everyone else hates him. But we've all seen the power tripping GM at some point.

9. Use characters as leverage on players.
"Try making this anouncement: 'If you are not here on time, I start tearing up character sheets.'" :)

10. Ignore complaints.
"Finally, some of your players may tell you they're not enjoying themselves, but that they would if you just changed a few things. Well, don't."

Omega Notes: And more so, lack of communication is always a hazard in a game. It's great to know what works and what doesn't and you can't tell all that just from player's reactions to the game.

drowdude

First Post
Black Omega said:

6. Always obey dice rolls; Never surender the scene!

Omega Note: This can be a point of style for some games. Some people prefer to just roll the diceand never fudge, just let the dice fall where they may. Personally, if a it's been a long, hard fought struggle, it's 2 AM and a PC has just reduced the bad guy to 1 HP, I'm willing to call it a kill instead of using that last cute critical wounds the bad guy might have had. It's fudging a little, but in a way that gives a good climax to the game.

Back in the day I would frequently fudge dice rolls and such in favor of the PCs in order to keep them alive, advance the plot thread, or just to keep the game going in general...

But not anymore :)

Nowadays I just let the dice fall where they may. In general, I can say that this has proven to be far more fun for me personally. Although it has resulted a TPK or 2 :p

SableWyvern

Adventurer
Black Omega said:
Omega Notes: Ugh. I tend to avoid crippling at all costs, aside from something really dumb happening like a PC reaching into metal lionhead with an open mouth to try and pick the lock there without checking for traps.;) To a minor degree, a short arc where a paladin is framed (for example) can be fun, but if it causes problems with the player it should not be a continuing theme. Not everyone wants to be the Amazing Spiderman.:)

Avoid crippling? A pox on you! ;)

Good old Duri, the dwarven paladin from my last fully fledged Rolemaster campaign.

He ended up with a missing eye, most of his ears lost to frostbite and hair that only grew in a few tufts after being burnt by lightning. :D

In the same campaign, I had a human ranger that had his elbow shattered early on, and had to switch to his left hand for the rest of the game.

Actually, the latter was probably a mistake (in that, I shouldn't have let it happen). Although my players knew that stuff like that happens in my RM campaigns, and don't have a problem with it, this guy was new. He told me later that he had just played his character long enough to be attached enough not to dump him outright and start again.

Fortunately, the player was mature enough to take it all in stride, rather than sulking/complaining. In the end, he became quite competent with his left, and the loss of his right was something of a badge of honour. In future, though, I wouldn't do that to an inexperienced player.

Oh, and I almost forget the greatest maiming of all: a smart-arsed PC, who, after pushing a druid too far - a druid who was the party's only hope of getting a nasty fire spirit of their backs - had to douse himself in oil and ignite as part of his contrition. He went from an Appearance of 101 (max) down to 13. That was the player's fault though, and he knew it. It also became a great roleplaying point, with his best friend always inadvertantly mentioning the incident and getting him very angry. It was also quite appropriate that, when the character died, the party buried him by throwing the body into a nearby lava flow. :p

Kibo

Banned
Banned
Risky Business

Damn straight Drowdude. Trust in the dice. This is what experience has taught me.

I'm am merely the color commentary for their whims. There were times when I thought the PC's were so going to overcome in the climactic moment that I thought nothing of brazzenly rolling in the open, it was just a formality anyway. Wrong, and the moment of what should have been defeat some of my villians and the dice conspired on streaks that would get you kicked out of Las Vegas. A few rolls, and seconds of game time, later what once was certain defeat, was now certain victory. That is until the dice had a little something more to say about it. If it'd happened once it would have been a fluke. But this seems to be their pattern, often letting the players win by a measly single point. No matter how powerful, diabolical, ruthless and generally less than amicable my villians are, if the players bring cunning, guile, and a double helping of style, at least with my dice, fortune favors the bold (without any help from me).

For them, that must be more satisfying. And for me, well I can trust in my dice, which frees me to make my villians all the more diabolical, ruthless, and resourceful. Which, in turn, makes everything more dramatic and all the more worthwhile.

I'm not exactly a superstisious type of guy, but there is something about my smoke colored dice, I don't know how they do what they do, I'm just glad they do it.

Ysgarran

Black Omega said:

Omega Note: Seemed appropriate with several threads talking about railroading.

The closest I came to destroying a campaign was when I thought the characters had too much magic toys for their level. My reasoning went along the lines of:
"With this amount of magic they are bound to get some
unwanted attention. Somebody is going to notice this amount
of magic and try to take it away from them."

I used the 'Four from Cormyr' adventure ambush scene for the attempt. The characters lost in a big way and they took it very
negatively. The players had felt they were railroaded...

What did I do wrong?
1. Not enough communication: to me the game is about interactive story telling. If I, as a DM, had a problem with too much magic in the game (something I caused of course), then I should just talked to the players about it. That would have given me idea of just how important their toys were to the players.
2. Clues that were too Obscure: There were clues to what was going to happen but they were too obscure for the players and they did not pick up on them. So the ambush scene appeared to a purely random event DESIGNED to take away their toys.
3. Not an even battle. The battle WAS tilted against the players. My thoughts were that if the players were foolish enough to fall for the ambush they should pay the penalty. That is way things work sometimes, you get yourself into the situation that you cannot easily extract yourself. In hindsight that was a mistake, especially when the players did not feel there were enough hints to point to the ambush in the first place.

later,
Ysgarran.

Re: Re: How to Ruin Your Campaign

Ysgarran said:
What did I do wrong?
2. Clues that were too Obscure: There were clues to what was going to happen but they were too obscure for the players and they did not pick up on them. So the ambush scene appeared to a purely random event DESIGNED to take away their toys.
Well, it was designed to take away their toys. It wasn't random, though.

Now, after after it was over, did you point out all the clues they had missed, and what those clues meant? That might take some of the wind (anger) out of their sails. Of course, it may just make them feel worse, so maybe you shouldn't point the clues out....

A powerful group would probably Scry for information. If a PC makes the check for being observed, that would not be an obscure clue. :) If the party had missed all the other clues, then that would be a great one to "give" the players as a warning, just so they have some warning that something's up.

Hadraniel

First Post
One of the worst things my group experienced was when we did not have the necessary equipment to fight the monsters we encounterd. Then for probably 5 or 6 scenarios we had that feeling we never really won. We survived, but the bad guy would get away or have screwed us over pretty well. We almost had a open rebellion, but we talked to the GM and he tried to fix things.

hong

WotC's bitch
Re: Re: Re: How to Ruin Your Campaign

Barendd Nobeard said:
Well, it was designed to take away their toys. It wasn't random, though.

Isn't that the basic definition of railroading: the DM having a specific end in mind that the players don't agree with?

While I've always loved the phrase "clues flying around like clouds of bats" ...

... I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that Hero Games has reprinted that essay in at least one of their official Champions books, and I'd bet even money it's in the current Hero System rulebook. Which might make it copyrighted material.

Wouldn't want Morrus to get in trouble, would we?

... I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that Hero Games has reprinted that essay in at least one of their official Champions books, and I'd bet even money it's in the current Hero System rulebook. Which might make it copyrighted material.

I think this thread probably falls easily under the definition of 'fair use,' as Black Omega isn't trying to make a profit off of his reposting of the rules, and the copyright holder itself doesn't stand to lose any money from increased exposure to their work.

Why does someone always feel the need to play the 'copyright' card?

-F

Remove ads