D&D 5E How to Start Playing Dungeons & Dragons (5th Edition) Without Breaking the Bank – A Beginner’s Guide

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Your section on alignment is a bit borked. For instance, you cite Neutral Good as "These characters aim to control the balance between good and evil. When given a chance, they will often tip that scale in favor of goodness." Whereas, this alignment has always been described as fully good, with a balance between law and chaos. Some of the other alignments are similarly departures from whart's described in the D&D game.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
[FONT="]Hey, guys. I have humbly published a guide on how to get started in D&D while on a budget. I hope you all enjoy and I wish each of you a pleasant day.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#141414][FONT="]https://www.gametruth.com/guides/a-...w-to-start-playing-without-breaking-the-bank/ [/FONT]

This is a cool guide. Just a couple of precisions:
Remember to include a link to the free Elemental Evil Player's Guide. That one has cool cantrips and races.
Sorcerers can be damage dealers, but that way lies quick resource depletion and nova damage. Another -better (IMO)-way to play them is focusing on buffing/debuffing. They are the only full caster proficient at Concentration saves and the only ones with a way around the normal Concentration limits -Twin spell-. They can get higher hp and ac from Dragon Magic or access to more buffs from Divine Soul, or access to lots of advantage through Wild Magic, to mobility and battlefield control through Storm Magic or Shadow Magic.

This is a cool guide. Just a couple of precisions:
Remember to include a link to the free Elemental Evil Player's Guide. That one has cool cantrips and races.
Sorcerers can be damage dealers, but that way lies quick resource depletion and nova damage. Another -better (IMO)-way to play them is focusing on buffing/debuffing. They are the only full caster proficient at Concentration saves and the only ones with a way around the normal Concentration limits -Twin spell-. They can get higher hp and ac from Dragon Magic or access to more buffs from Divine Soul, or access to lots of advantage through Wild Magic, to mobility and battlefield control through Storm Magic or Shadow Magic.

Hey, MoonSong. Thank you for your support and for the thoughtful feedback. You make a good point!

thorgrit

Explorer
Good info, though I'd spend a little less time on how to play and more on the budget side. There's tons of "how to play D&D" guides already out there.

I always advise potential new players to find a group first, bring a pregenerated character (the wotc website has a bunch), and let the group lead you through how they play and what they'll eventually expect you to bring on your own. The first goal is to find people you get along with and have fun. They might play with different house rules, or even a different game altogether! I would suppose any group eager to teach a new player will let you borrow dice, walk you through character creation interactively, and answer any questions on the spot.

Another thing to mention, if you already have some friends and want to try out D&D together, but don't have any experience with it, the Starter Set is an excellent purchase. It comes with the free Basic Rules on a nice printout, premade characters with simple instructions to level up, a set of dice, and a fantastic adventure for the DM to get started with. It has an MSRP of US$20, but can frequently be found for $15 or less. It leaves a lot out, like character generation and expanded options, but it's great self-contained "sampler platter" in one box to get a taste to see if you want to invest more time, effort, and money into it.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
This is a great idea! I'm adding a link to this on the "Best of 5E" wiki thread.

Another free resource is Dragon+ online magazine. Not only is it full of articles with setting and background information, but it frequently includes links to free adventures and other supplements to download. Perhaps you might want to make a follow-up article with a list of free-to-download adventures? Maybe just make it a "top 10 free adventures" post so as to limit it to adventures that are competently written and fully fleshed out. Or make it a "top 10 free adventures for new DMs" list, focusing on good starter adventures. If you want to do this, I'm sure we could brainstorm a list of adventures (starting with this one: https://www.dmsguild.com/product/194450/An-Introduction-to-DD--The-Wealthy-Merchant).

Then there are the free "plane shift" articles, each one detailing a setting and sometimes some new races based on a world in Magic: the Gathering. They're not very easy to find just by searching WotC's site, so links to each one would probably be handy for your readers.

Remove ads