How to talk like a dwarf.

Joker

First Post
I've made a dwarven fighter and am going to start playing him on Friday.

I'm trying to get the accent down but besides a few phrases from Warcraft and OotS I don't really know how to make "normal" sentences sound dwarvish. With that I mean, I don't know how things sound that I haven't heard before in...dwarvish.

I don't exactly know how to go about asking this, so I figured if people wrote down phrases phonetically (sp), I could practice them and learn how same sounding words are spoken.

So, if you could, please share your knowledge of drunk and drunkest dwarvish.

Doug McCrae

Legend
Try to use the words 'och', 'dinnae', 'ken' and 'muckle' as often as possible. Ideally say nothing else. It's okay, dwarves are taciturn. If pressed then try one of the following:

Dinnae fash yersel'
It's a braw bricht moonlicht nicht, the nicht
Hoots mon, there's a moose loose aboot this hoose. WARNING! This one can raise Scottishness to dangerous levels.

For more information, watch this and this.

Why are dwarves Scottish, anyway? Whoever in the world decided that that was some kind of standard? Makes more sense to me that they'd be Scandinavian, if we needed to assign a real world accent to them.

For a change of pace, I did a dwarf with a Russian accent named Henrik Genkriladze.

Presto2112

Explorer
Hobo said:
Why are dwarves Scottish, anyway? Whoever in the world decided that that was some kind of standard? Makes more sense to me that they'd be Scandinavian, if we needed to assign a real world accent to them.

For a change of pace, I did a dwarf with a Russian accent named Henrik Genkriladze.

Dwarves just always seemed scottish to me. Gnomes were French, halflings spoke with a Cockney dialect, and Elves spoke the Queen's English. And for some reason, drow were German.

Remove ads